XP Service Pack 2 incompatible with games?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Clinton McClure, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I've been hearing that SP2 does not work well with some games and in some cases will make the game itself unplayable.

How much truth is there to this and does anyone know which games (if any) are affected and how?

2. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

welp I am a pretty serious gamer, and I have SP2 installed havent had any troubles with any games being not playable, and I play many games including Doom3 FarCry UT2K4 to mention a few,only thing I have noticed is that SP2 seriously hinders performance in Doom3 other than that every other game runs flawlessly.

3. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    Thanks Mike. I was concerned because I had to reformat my HD a few days ago and the only way to get all my XP security updates (from the past year) is to download SP2.

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

5. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

synthetic benchmarks dont prove anything,and 1 or 2 points faster isnt like a gigantic leap in performance, im not impressed.All I can tell you is that SP2 is a hog on your system. But I havent bothered reinstalling yet to see if that makes SP2 more likeable.

6. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    I finished installing SP2 yesterday and all I can tell so far is my system boots up a bit slower than before. Everything else works the same.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

If you don't use IE and don't need a software firewall is there any reason not to stay with SP1? I just have a little if it ain't broke don't fix it syndrome.

8. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    I use Firefox as my browser and have a firewall set up on it so I don't need those features but I do need all the updates and security patches included. I lost those when I had to reformat and that's the only way I could get them all back.

9. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

For the record, SP2 contains a bunch of fixes (both security and otherwise). To my knowledge, it didn't introduce any new compatibility issues with games, but there are a lot of games out there so it's always possible that a couple of them are having issues. Many games are quickly written and poorly tested, so even the most minor OS changes (like bumping the version number) can cause issues. SP2 also doesn't contain any targeted perf increases, as that was never the intended goal. It may be that some people see an increase out of dumb luck, but you can't slam it for not increasing perf since the release is all about stability and security.

10. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I'm still leery of SP2. I work in IT (although I don't do much Windows stuff, admittedly), and I've heard a couple of different companies grouchy about it messing up some custom apps. I'm going to wait for a bit to be sure (as I normally do with Microsoft - I waited 2 years before going to XP). I'll wait a few more months before installing SP2.

11. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

12. I am holding out as long as possible, i really do not want to install SP2 AT ALL!!. We deployed it at work but other than that i do not want anything to do with it. Thus far i dont have any good reasons to install it on either of my systems