XP says network cable is unplugged, but it isn't

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shayne Lebrun, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Then it's a bad cable, or a bad hub, or something similar.

2. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

It just means the network connection has been lost. If you have a cable modem, this could simply mean that the cable modem is not getting any signal (in which case it doesn't put anything on the Ethernet cord, so it just as if the cord was unplugged).

p.s. Where did the original post go??

3. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

First open up your network properties and make sure that you don't have 2 network interface cards installed. The original post isn't here, so I can't really work from that, but;
    1. Can you see/use things on the network?
    2. Open up the network properties (right click/properties on network neighborhood), from there see how many LAN connections it has, you may simply have 2 NIC's in there for whatever reason.
    3. Go into control panel/system and blow away the network card and reboot (it should re-install when the machine reboots).

Try those first, I have seen hubs/switches take a dive a few times, but in this case it can be a bad NIC (or misconfiguration), a bad cable (very-very rare) or the component that the cable is plugged into is bad (other components downstream from that wouldn't cause this error).

Also if the computer is hooked directly into a cable/dsl modem type device, you should still get an ethernet signal (ie your computer should not tell you the cable is unplugged) even if the service is down. Now the cable/dsl modem itself could be bad.

Andrew

4. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I don't know what happened to what I originally posted, but here it is again:

5. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

Whenever XP has said the network cable was unplugged and it really wasn't, it was because my cable modem was out for one reason or another.

6. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Its also possible your driver has become corrupted. I've seen this two times now on various xp machines.

Uninstall your network adaptor (go to device manager), then reboot and let the driver reinstall. If this is the cause then this will fix it.

7. Jeff Jacobson

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a try.

8. Bryan Toth

Bryan Toth Stunt Coordinator

Another reason I've seen this message before is if DHCP is messed up..... you're probably using DHCP w/ your Cable Modem. If you are, try doing an ipconfig /release and then an ipconfig /renew. That will re-establish your IP address and might solve the problem.

Bryan

9. Jeff Jacobson

I don't have a cable modem, so I don't think that is the problem. I simply have (or had, when it was working) two computers connected together via a hub.