What's new

XP Questions and problems (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hey, so i just got WinXP with my new computer, and i got a couple questions and problems im having:

1. For user accounts, can i like block folders that other users can see? Or say block programs etc? Also, i have two users on my computer, one for me and one for my bro. I can't get MSN to run on his profile. I just click it, itll just show a loading hourglass for a few seconds and nothing'll happen.

2. On my Mobo, theres an audio part on there already, i installed the drivers and all but the volume is really low. I gotta turn up all volumes (in Windows and on the speaker) to get it at a moderate level. Driver problem? Hardware problem here?

Thanks

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
If you right-click on a folder, you'll hopefully see a "Security and Sharing" option in the popup-menu. You can restrict access to people from there. It's kinda complicated (I find UNIX easier for security, but Windows XP's file/folder security is more powerful), but you'll get used to it.

As for the speakers...dunno. What motherboard brand and model is it again?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
The mobo is an Elitegroup K7S5A with an SiS chipset...

Okay i figured out the file blocking thing, but the main problem is the MSN Messenger... anybody know? Thx

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
MSN- Check that his account has permissions to run the app.

Sound- Apologies if this is overtly obvious, but make sure the speaks are plugged into the speaker out and not the line out.

T

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Okay cool thanks...

How do i set/check permissions for programs and stuff? Im totally new to XP, so i really have no idea of all its more in-depth features...

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
How do i set/check permissions for programs and stuff? Im totally new to XP, so i really have no idea of all its more in-depth features...
Couple of different ways to do it.

First-

Right click on "My Computer" and select "Manage"
In the management console which appears expand the "Local Users" branch.
Click on the "Users" folder, then double click your brother's username.
Check the "Member Of" tab to see which group(s) he's a member of.

Next-

Find the exe for messenger "msmsgs.exe".
Right click it and select "Properties".
On the "Security" tab, check the groups that are listed.

If your brother doesn't belong to one of these groups, that's why it won't run for him. You can either add a group that he's a member of here on the security tab for messenger.(more secure as it only gives his group rights t this app) Or, in the computer management console, add his username to a group that's already listed, such as Power Users or Administrators.(less secure as you're giving him rights to a whole range of apps, not just this one)

Post again if any of this is confusing.

T

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Awesome, thanks.. ill check it out

Srinivas: I tried installing the Drivers (The ECS PCI Audio ones and the AC97 one) and XP said they werent working...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Thom: When i go into PROPERTIES of msmsgs.exe, there's no SERCURITIES tab, only "General, Version, Compatibility, Summary"

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
XP Pro or Home? Also, is the username you're signed in under a member of the administrators group?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
This is XP Pro... The username i signed in under is in the admin group...

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I think there was a procedure somewhere to enable the "security" tab for file properties, but hell if I can remember. Maybe search the MS Knowledge Base?

Although, it's odd that you even need to set security for MSN Messenger...it should be runnable by anybody. Perhaps when you installed it, it didn't place the shortcuts into the global Program Files menu so that all users can see it.

Can the other user besides yours execute the msmsgs.exe?

Maybe try downloading the latest version of it if you don't already have it, and reinstall it, carefully looking for an option to display the MSN Messenger shortcuts in the global menus, versus a single user only?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Okay, i fixed it... i went to MSN's website, and installed a copy of MSN Messenger in my bro's profile.. thanks guys! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks