XP Problemos - Restart on shutdown and system restore error

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Randy Tennison, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    So, I tried to install a 2nd drive in my comp, and had some problems. I ended up having to re-install Windows XP. Now, when I start up the system, I have a choice of which operating system to chose, Windows XP or Windows XP (anyone know how to get rid of that in the startup?). Then, when I am in the system, my system restore has an error and will not start. Finally, when I do a shutdown, the system automatically restarts after shutdown. I checked all the things I could find on the net (including the "restart on fault" and uninstalling EZCD Creator 5). Nothing worked.

Any ideas?

2. Roman Ortega

Roman Ortega Extra

Did you format your hard disk before reinstalling Windows XP? If you didn’t you have two operatives systems in the same disk partition and that’s the cause of your problem. Try to get in the console of Windows XP (the one that looks like DOS) and hit dir in c:, you should see the two directories of Windows, try erasing the directory that you installed last. If that doesn’t work then sorry man but I think you’ll have to format your disk.

One option is to configure the second disk as a master disk and the other one as a slave, in that way you can install windows in the new disk and copy all the information of the old disk without much problem. Hope this helps.

Roman

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

To edit the OS boot menu displayed at startup, go to:

Control Panel->System->Advanced->Startup and Recovery.

The top box group called "System Startup" has an Edit button that opens notepad and allows you to edit the boot.ini file.

Hmm, actually you could just edit the boot.ini file found on the boot partition of your computer, although this might be hidden if Explorer was told to hide system files. If you boot off of the C: drive, then you should edit the C:boot.ini file.