XP problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jassen M. West, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

When i start windows XP my task bar and start menu do not appear. i can load and run programs by using the CTRL-ALT-DEL to get me to the task manager but i can't get into the control panel so i can "go back in time" to a date that my computer worked. Any help would be nice. I don't want to have to re-setup this system.

thanks
    jassen

2. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    You sure it's not just shrunk down to (nearly) nothing? Hold your mouse over the very bottom of the screen (if that's where you used to keep the taskbar). Look for the pointer to change to the up-down resizing arrow. If you see it, click and drag up.

Works similarly if you kept your taskbar on one of the other edges, although the resize pointer and the direction you drag would be different.

3. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

no its not just small i tried,, the icons on the desktop are gone too. thanks for trying though.

jay

4. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

Do you get the Start menu by tapping the Win key once? If that works you could get to Accessories/System Tools to do a system restore (assuming you have restore points created).

OR

If Win-R brings up the Run dialog box, enter:

c:winntsystem32restorerstrui.exe or
    c:windowssystem32restorerstrui.exe (depending which folder your windows installation is in) and that should bring up system restore.

5. Jeff Lehr

Jeff Lehr Stunt Coordinator

This happened to me when I installed a new graphics card. It sounds like you're set up for using 2 monitors.
    It will display the desktop on one, and your taskbar/start menu on the other...or does it show the whole desktop on the other monitor...can't remember...
    Anyway, go into your display properties and make sure you're set up for a single monitor. (Disable any other monitor it shows, leaving Monitor 1 as the primary monitor, check that the video card you're using and the monitor are together on the drop-down menu, and make sure you check 'Extend my Windows desktop on this monitor).
    You might have to go into your graphics card properties for this, but it should show up when you right-click on the desktop, choose properties, and go to the settings tab.
    If the display properties don't come up when you right-click on the desktop and choose Properties, then it's being displayed on the 'other' monitor. You can try plugging your monitor in the 2nd video output on the back of your computer (I'm assuming you have onboard video in addition to your graphics card).
    You should then see the display properties and be able to set it up correctly.
    After that, everything should be on the same page.

JL

6. Kris Coffin

Kris Coffin Stunt Coordinator

In your task manager go to Processes, and see if the Explorer task is running. It controls alot more than most people think. If it is not there, then go to file, run, and type in explorer. If there is one running, you may want to cancel the task and start another one.

KC