What's new

XP Pro to XP Home Networking problem. (ACCESS DENIED) (1 Viewer)

Mark Giles

Second Unit
I have 3 computers setup on a wireless network in an office.

Computer A has XP Pro

Computers B and C both have XP Home edition

The problem I'm having is, computer A cannot see the workgroup. Internet access is no problem.

Both the other two computers are just fine. They can see computer A and can access files off of it and each other,`` as well as internet access.

Basically Computer A is where the problem lies. These computer was networked sucessfully at one time because when you go into "My Network Places" it shows all of the folders that are shared from the other two computers.

Computer A:
When I right click on "my computer" I see that I am indeed in the correct workgroup. But it does not allow me to change the workgroup. It's greyed out! I'm writing this from memory so bare with me. I believe somewhere I got a message about some network components need to be installed to make changes.

Is there a quick fix on this? I'm going back to attempt to resolve this at later 2night. But I would like to have everything running perfect by the end of tonight. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance ;)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've run into similar problems with XP's networking. So far I've always managed to clear it up by simply redoing the process of having the problem computer join the workgroup with the Network Setup Wizard.

M.

Mark Giles

Second Unit
Ok, re-running the network wizard is on my list of things when I go back to the job. Thanks for that.

So far, I plan to try the following things. Feel free to add anything I might have over looked.

-change the wireless card to a differnt slot (this is a possible hardware problem) I'll explain more later.

-try another wireless card.

-try pinging other computers

-logging off and logging back on

-make sure all network components are installed

Ok, the main thing thats new to this (computer A) is that I have installed a linksys b/g wireless adaptor. The wireless card came drivers and a "linksys wireless monitor" utility that is giving me problems just on this computer. When i shut down and start up, I get a strange error message the refers to the monitor program and a exe file (srry cant rememeber the exact wording). I have completed removed and uninstalled the program and reinstalled it like directed. Still the same error mesage. I planned on just uninstalling the monitor utility and just running the generic windows wireless utility.

Perhaps this error message is related or caused by the other problem I'm having. I definiatly have a bunch of things to try but if anyone has any other suggestions to try first, that would be great.

Mark Giles

Second Unit
Ok problem solved! Network Wizard did the trick! First try! I figured since the other puters could see it, the problem was somewhere else. Thanks for the help Mike! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread