What's new

XP not keeping my default "take no action" (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

my xp (home ed.) box recently started doing something weird. you know when you insert media xp asks you if you want to take a certain action?

well, i keep selecting "take no action" and checking the "always do selected action" (or whatever it says), but it doesn't seem to work.

the next time i insert the media (in this case a music cd) the dialog box pops right back up.

any ideas?

thx,

ted

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Stop using XP. :D

I'm sure you're waiting for me to help you, but not on this one. You know that I refuse to use XP.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to Windows XP. I had a major problem with Personalized Favorites, where it would always forget which favorite links I visited, thus never showing up in the menu unless I expand it manually. This went on for a month, and I gave up on it and disabled the stupid setting. This didn't happen on my other computer.

The MS Knowledgebase database says that it takes a week or two before it settles down. Naturally, they have no clue what they are talking about.

My laptop refuses to let me set network settings for any of my network adapters. This happened after I upgraded to Service Pack 1. I had the same problem on my desktop computer, but a hard drive wipe and a reinstall of XP and SP1 fixed that. I can't afford to do that with my laptop, as it is my work computer.
Stupid Microsoft.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
The MS Knowledgebase database says that it takes a week or two before it settles down. Naturally, they have no clue what they are talking about.
Oh, for crying out loud. Why not just reboot every 15 minutes?! That seems to have as much of a potential for working as "letting it settle down". :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks