What's new

XP: can't delete unreadable file, can't open Help and Supprt (1 Viewer)

A

Andrew_A_Paul

I have a file on my HD that cant be read anymore, so i cant delete it, rename it, or anything, so i was gonna delete in DOS, so i make a boot disc through the format option in the 3 1/2 drive, but that wont work because my drives are NTFS. So what i did was boot in safe mode with command prompt as suggested by a friend, and delete it that way. I go the the file its in and try to delete it. I type erase E:[foldername][filename]. The file name is two seperate words, and i get a message back saying something to the effect of cannot find file (and here it lists only the first word of the file name)on specified drive. Why does it do this? Is there any other way to delete this file?

I also cant open help and support, either by hitting F1 on the desktop, or going to the start menu. I was going to Repair windows to fix the Help and Support issue thinking maybe that would work, but when i boot to the windows cd and hit R for repair at the menu, select 1 for the C:Windows drive it goes to a command prompt and i cant figure out to do Do i just type FIXBOOT? From what I understand all that does fix bad boot sectors. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
If you want to delete a file from the command prompt, DOS doesn't like spaces. Use " " around the filename.

C:> del "xx file.doc"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks