1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

XP and popups

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Darrel McBane, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

About a year ago I put together a new computer with XP on it. I started getting all these popup messages. They were ads for removing popup and just about everything else to waste your money on. I saw a post here about changing a setting on XP or MS Explorer that would eliminate the popup. Thanks to a HT member. After I made the changes they were gone.

Now, a friend of mine just bought a new computer with XP and he is now getting the popups. And I can't remember what changes I made to my computer that eliminated them. Could someone please refresh my memory. What setting need to be changed on XP or MS Explorer or Outlook Express that does away with these things. We both use a cable connection through Comcast if that's of any importance.

Thanks

2. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Services. Scroll down to Messenger, right click on it, select properties, then on startup type select disabled.

3. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Thanks very much Todd. I'll pass it on.

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Also hit the Stop button while you have the Messenger service highlighted. This will shut it down immediately. Setting the startup type to disabled will cause it to not start up next time you reboot.

A better solution is to use a firewall, since the fact that messenger spam can get in means other vulnerabilities can be exploited as well, for example, if you're not patched the Blaster or Welchia worm, or something else could possibly get in. The firewall built into XP will suffice, though an external router or Zone Alarm is better.

5. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

Is Black Ice a good firewall? How does it stack up to Zone Alarm?

sorry to thread jack

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I like and use Sygate Personal Firewall. Unlike Zone Alarm, you can set up advanced rules in it if you want (you don't have to). The non-pro version is free.

http://smb.sygate.com/

Last I checked BlackIce didn't block outgoing traffic, and you really want a firewall that does that.

Then, when you get a pop-up from the firewall asking if it should permit sudden outgoing traffic on port 6667, you know to click the "Hell no!" button and start up antivirus software to find the backdoor trojan on your computer. [​IMG]

BlackIce may have improved however. I do know that Sygate works superbly, as does Zonealarm if you don't need advanced rules.

7. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

There's a freeware "Shoot The Messenger"...