XP-50 image appears "lighter" in progressive mode?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John S Miller, Feb 21, 2003.

1. John S Miller

John S Miller Auditioning

I recently purchased a Panasonic xp-50, and while viewing a 480p image on my panasonic 47wx51, I must reduce the brightness setting on the TV. Once I do this, the image looks great, but I am wondering whether others regularly have to make these types of adjustments when viewing progressive scan materials? Or is there something wrong with the player? For what its worth, the 480i image seems to "match" (in terms of brightness setting) the regular cable TV images that I watch for the majority of the time. Thanks for any insight into this situation.

2. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

Your tv has different settings for 480p and 480i. I also have a panasonic 53wx52 and out of the box there was a huge difference between the two modes.

Use Avia or one of the other calibration discs and calibrate your picture settings for both interlaced and progressive using the service menu settings. This should get them close, and then you can make further tweaks later on using the regular user-menu controls.

3. Jerry Dreiss

Jerry Dreiss Stunt Coordinator

I think I read somewhere that because progessive scan images are pumping more lines of resolution onto the screen at any given moment that is it also pumping more light onto the screen, making the image brighter.