What's new

XOBX graphics compare to PS2 and Cube? (1 Viewer)

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
Hi...I already own a PS2 and Gamecube. I am on the fence about buying an XBOX as well. I was worried about the XBOX not selling or becoming the next 3DO ( I paid $700 for one when it came out...ouch!) but it seems to be selling at least as well, if not better than the Cube. I was a fan of DOA2 on the Dreamcast so DOA3 might be the game I get one for and of coarse all the good stuff coming down the pike. I am not that big a FPS shooter fan as years of PC gaming has made me quite sick of them so Halo is only marginally interesting to me.

I do not play games in my home theater so I have dedicated my computer room for that task with a Klipsch 4.1 THX speaker system and a 20" flat screen Toshiba TV with component inputs and switchers for up to (4) component sources. So my decision would come down to graphics...how much better are they really on the XBOX. I think the cube is slightly better than the PS2 but to be honest from what I have seen so far all three systems seem to be almost the same from a graphics standpoint. The realtime 5.1 sound might come into play at some point in the future if I get a 5.1 processor for my computer room.

Opinions from anyone who has all (3) systems?

thanks in advance, Randy

Ron_C

Agent
Hi,
My brother has all three systems. My favorite is the xbox. The xbox is going to be pretty big, so don't worry about it being the next 3do, Microsoft knows how to market its products. Right now, all 3 systems have about the same graphics, but in 6 months, when the xbox has more games our and are more experienced programmers, the xbox will be the leader. From a hardware point of view, the xbox is the best, nobody can deny that. However, it is the programmer the makes the game have good or bad graphics, not the hardware itself. So right now, the PS2 games that are out right now, are at the top of its graphical ability. As with the xbox, they are just getting to know the system, so in 6 months when they can program it better to take advantage of the xbox's high end graphics, it will pull away from the PS2 and GameCube. Right now, xbox is definately the one to get. There are a lot of PS2 loyal people out there that tell you to stay away from the xbox for reasons that are untrue...all 3 systems are great, but for future advancement in graphics, Xbox is the winner.:emoji_thumbsup:

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
If graphics are the only thing that matter to you, then the XBox is the best choice. However, and I can't belabor this point enough, the real best choice is which system has the games you enjoy playing the best. After all, Halo is the real standout game for the XBox so far and that ain't really your thing. Who cares how good it looks if you don't like the game?
Kip

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I used to be like you and not think highly of FPS games. I liked Thief, but that was about it. After getting Halo, I played it until I beat it on Heroic. Now I'm doing it all over again on Legendary. For some reason it's so fun, with the vehicles and all, that you don't have to be a FPS nut to enjoy it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The X-Box has the best potential for the best graphics of the 3, but that doesn't mean it will have them.

As of this very moment, I would say its iffy about which is the best. This time next year, who knows. There are things the PS2 can do that they haven't done yet, plus its all in the developers hands. ICO was an amazing looking game for PS2 and I think that the artists and programmers made it look better than what the PS2 could probably do because they were so good with it. Maybe the same could happen again in the future, or maybe not.

But most likely the X-Box is the best, followed by the GameCube, then the PS2.

Ron Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
Shanti,

Great article! I think they did a better job of explaining things then many other recent articles have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks