What's new

XM/ Sirrius for home (1 Viewer)

Nancy_Tice

Auditioning
XM radio has a computer unit now (hooks by usb). has anyone tried it yet? I would like to be able to listen in the home and if possible car though the car is not a priority. What's the best way to go? It's hard to sort out what equiptment I need, the xm radio pc unit is inexpensive and sounds easy but I'd love to know someone who tried it.
thanks so much.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
If you want user reviews go to xmfan.com. Lots of helpful people over there.

The xmpcr is a great inexpensive way to get XM if:
  • all your listening will be at home
  • your PC has a good sound setup
  • you travel on business with a laptop and listen through the headphones

Nancy_Tice

Auditioning
yes, I'm looking for a way to hear the music in my office, my computer has excellent speakers. Thanks !

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
I am basically an XMPCR preacher :)

I work at home on a computer 10+ hours a day, and I turn my PCR on before anything else. I like it so much I wrote new software for it to make it more flexible.

For $69 you get all the hardware you need...

Jeffrey D Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure about this, not using sirius, but I believe if you are a customer you can get unlimited streaming audio via the net.

This way if you have it in your car, you can still access the content inside your house.

Obviously you need to have at least dsl. I have no idea how well it works, their free sample over the net works well for me though.

Nancy_Tice

Auditioning
I have cable access which is fast and the streaming would work well. something to consider. thanks.

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
I believe you are right, and Sirius offers streaming. The XMPCR, however, doesn't use streaming, and will work perfectly no matter if you are connected to the internet or not (on a laptop in a plane, one guy even said). The sound comes from an audio line out on the PCR, and not teh internet. The computer is just used to turn channels and see everything that is on at once...

Jeffrey D Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I have cable access which is fast and the streaming would work well. something to consider. thanks.
Well, like I said, Sirius offers if for free 30 minutes a day so be sure to try it out first and see if it's for you.

If you plan on only using it on your PC then the XM route would likely be better. However if you have any interest in a unit at home or in your car you can have both without having to haul around the unit.

The main thing to consider though is content and what you want to listen to. If you are a casual listener you will very likely find something on either services any time of the day.

Goodluck.

Nancy_Tice

Auditioning
Thanks, I'm having a hard time figuring out which is better, xm or sirrius. I do spend a decent amount of time in the car. Other than a price difference I'm not sure what the "Real difference" is. Is there a good place to read about it? thanks

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
The best placesa for each are XMFan.com and Sirius Backstage.

I don't think you will be disappointed either way. If you want a solution for house AND car, the Delphi SkyFi would be what you want on the XM side. I'm not sure what the Sirius counterpart is.

I chose XM, because it was all that was available at the time. I haven't regretted that once since I got it a year ago.

Read the above message boards, but more importantly, listen to both services. Fortunately, I don't see there being a wrong decision in this, as both services appear to be top notch :)

Crissy_S

Auditioning
As someone else already said, you really can't go wrong with either one. The difference is in the song selection and amount of commercials. I choose Sirius mainly because I liked what they were playing more. (I had listened to demos of both on the computer for about a week.)

FYI - You can keep listening to the Sirius stream beyond the 20 minute time limit by switching to another channel before 20 minutes is up and then you start with a new 20 minutes.

Equipment wise, I think what one has, the other one will come out with. Sirius just got a later start so it's taking a little longer to get their equipment out.

Nancy_Tice

Auditioning
Thanks, I think I will listen to samples and then make up my mind. I really appreciate all the feedback. There is nothing like hearing it from people who actually use it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks