What's new

XM / Sirius / DAB satellite Radio (1 Viewer)

GrahamH

Auditioning
I know DAB is big in Europe. Does anyone know if the are plans to introduce 'Home' tuners for satellite radio in the US. It all seems to be car based at the moment, with the exception of a Sony, plug it anywhere solution.

If there are any car users out there. What is the sound quality like?, worth the $10 month (XM)

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
My roommate has XM in his car. It gives unbelievable sound. A lot of choice in channels also. About half of the channels are commercial free, the others aren't. But they're nowhere near as many commercials as regular radio. The difference in sound quality is easily noticeable.

It was great to drive to Las Vegas & listen to the same station without any dropout.

Adam Krogul

Stunt Coordinator
so when you use xm radio does it ever lose signal? if so how often and when it goes what does it sound like.

just curious...

thx

adam

Tony G

Stunt Coordinator
When I drive from Kingsport to Asheville, which includes a winding stretch through the mountains, there are usually about two times it loses the signal for a short time. The sound simply drops out. The same thing happens in the parking garage at work.

Tony

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Does it play the explicit version or is it the same cappy edited version like on regular radio.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
This is for the XM radio system. Some stations do have Explicit lyrics. If this isn't what you want you can have a parental block put on those channels. I drove from OKC to Dallas on the 5th of February to go to a concert in Deep Ellum. It was snowing pretty good that day and the only time it dropped was at a Gas Station with a huge Semi-Truck height canopy that covered from the pumps all the way up to the building itself. I never had any other problems than that. I have heard that some of their antennas work better than others. I have the Terk Glass Mount antenna. It is well worth $10 a month. I got it in December and have been enjoying it for a little over 2 months now. I love it. Sound is very good.

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
XM radio is very much like the
American Express credit card (Don,t leave home without it)
it makes driving so much more a
pleasure you will look forward to traffic jams and eliminate your need for short cuts. Is it worth the money, absolutely.

CarlDJr

Stunt Coordinator
February/March 2002 issue of Sound and Vision magazine has an article on XM radio during a road-trip the writers took.
Couldn't find the article on the Sound and Vision website site, so you would have to track down a copy of the magazine.:frowning:

GrahamH

Auditioning
Back to the original question. XM sounds good, but what about the practicality of using at home. Does anyone know of home based tuners for XM, receivers with XM capability?

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
The plug and play Sony is the type of Home solution for now. I don't know if there are any other ideas in the works, but this is all I have seen. With the plug and play you need to buy the car unit and then the home add on pack.

Adam Krogul

Stunt Coordinator
isn't the xm radio the same stations that are broadcasted through the dss channels? or at least some what similar?

i think with dss having 20 some stations of music there isn't a big need for xm to be in the home.

my 2 cents,

adam

David Rubenstein

Stunt Coordinator
I got XM today for my car and I've got to say that I'm impressed. I purchased the FM modulator model and the sound blows away a minidisc changer that I replaced (also through a modulator).

I don't know if i would use this at home (although the channels seem to be better than music choice).

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
isn't the xm radio the same stations that are broadcasted through the dss channels? or at least some what similar?
Not the same, and I like them better than the DSS channels. The DJ's are very in touch with the programming they are responsible for, at least on the 12 stations I listen to alot. I would definitely say they know their stuff. When was the last time you heard unedited National Lampoon's radio stuff broadcast? I heard it 45 minutes ago on channel 150.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks