XM / Sirius / DAB satellite Radio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GrahamH, Feb 28, 2002.

1. GrahamH

GrahamH Auditioning

I know DAB is big in Europe. Does anyone know if the are plans to introduce 'Home' tuners for satellite radio in the US. It all seems to be car based at the moment, with the exception of a Sony, plug it anywhere solution.

If there are any car users out there. What is the sound quality like?, worth the $10 month (XM)

2. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

My roommate has XM in his car. It gives unbelievable sound. A lot of choice in channels also. About half of the channels are commercial free, the others aren't. But they're nowhere near as many commercials as regular radio. The difference in sound quality is easily noticeable.

It was great to drive to Las Vegas & listen to the same station without any dropout.

3. Adam Krogul

Adam Krogul Stunt Coordinator

so when you use xm radio does it ever lose signal? if so how often and when it goes what does it sound like.

just curious...

thx

adam

4. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

When I drive from Kingsport to Asheville, which includes a winding stretch through the mountains, there are usually about two times it loses the signal for a short time. The sound simply drops out. The same thing happens in the parking garage at work.

Tony

5. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

Does it play the explicit version or is it the same cappy edited version like on regular radio.

6. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Yeah, Rush Limbaugh gets to tell you what he REALLY thinks of the Clintons [​IMG]

7. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

This is for the XM radio system. Some stations do have Explicit lyrics. If this isn't what you want you can have a parental block put on those channels. I drove from OKC to Dallas on the 5th of February to go to a concert in Deep Ellum. It was snowing pretty good that day and the only time it dropped was at a Gas Station with a huge Semi-Truck height canopy that covered from the pumps all the way up to the building itself. I never had any other problems than that. I have heard that some of their antennas work better than others. I have the Terk Glass Mount antenna. It is well worth $10 a month. I got it in December and have been enjoying it for a little over 2 months now. I love it. Sound is very good.

8. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

XM radio is very much like the
    American Express credit card (Don,t leave home without it)
    it makes driving so much more a
    pleasure you will look forward to traffic jams and eliminate your need for short cuts. Is it worth the money, absolutely.

9. CarlDJr

CarlDJr Stunt Coordinator

February/March 2002 issue of Sound and Vision magazine has an article on XM radio during a road-trip the writers took.
    Couldn't find the article on the Sound and Vision website site, so you would have to track down a copy of the magazine.[​IMG]

10. GrahamH

GrahamH Auditioning

Back to the original question. XM sounds good, but what about the practicality of using at home. Does anyone know of home based tuners for XM, receivers with XM capability?

11. Jeremy Little

The plug and play Sony is the type of Home solution for now. I don't know if there are any other ideas in the works, but this is all I have seen. With the plug and play you need to buy the car unit and then the home add on pack.

12. Adam Krogul

Adam Krogul Stunt Coordinator

isn't the xm radio the same stations that are broadcasted through the dss channels? or at least some what similar?

i think with dss having 20 some stations of music there isn't a big need for xm to be in the home.

my 2 cents,

adam

13. David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein Stunt Coordinator

I got XM today for my car and I've got to say that I'm impressed. I purchased the FM modulator model and the sound blows away a minidisc changer that I replaced (also through a modulator).

I don't know if i would use this at home (although the channels seem to be better than music choice).

14. Jeremy Little