XM Radio Worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn C, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I was looking at the little Sony XM radio receiver and it looked pretty neat. My question is: If you already have DSS or Digital Cable with all the music channels on it, is XM radio any better, or worth it? Or is XM only really useful in your car? What is the sound quality like?

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i see XM radio as the next big thing in car audio-- home audio is a different story. XM uses satellites to give you a great radio signal anywhere in the US, so, especially on road trips, cars will benefit more from this. it might help people living outside cities and broadcasting range by providing a better signal, but most wont notice an improvement. since your HT isnt on wheels (i hope [​IMG]), this really shouldnt be too much better than what you have now. i do think (and hope!) it's gonna start to be standard on receivers/tuners soon.
    music variety and selection are the only things that should influence your decision, unless you live in rural areas.

3. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Shawn,

I looked at the little Sony XM unit that was portable so that it could be used at home and in the car. With only a casette interface and no FM transmission to pick up on the radio at the very least, I wouldn't touch it. If they produce an affordable unit with an s/pdif digital output for use at home and an FM transmitter for the car I might be interested.

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    If the service was free I would have a hard time justifying the price of an XM receiver but the monthly fee makes it a non issue for me. Thanks to the net I already have access to all of my favorite music both at home and on the road.

5. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    I believe the Kenwood Z828 that i plan on getting is XM capable. How is the selection?
    No worries anyway, im getting the Z828 for its MP3 capabilities anyway.

6. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Cool. That's what I figured. Good for the car, so-so for the home. $9.95 actually seems a little steep to me. I guess this will have to be a wait-and-see type thing..

7. Cortney J Beard

I was pretty leary about xm radio and had pretty much written it off as a waste. One of my installed an xm radio tuners in his blazer with stock speakers and it sounded awesome. We compared the sound to a few cds and the xm feeds were much more dynamic, I am very impressed.

Cortney Beard