What's new

XM Radio Expands Offering the Most Choice and the Most Channels In Satellite Radio (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
XM Satellite Radio Expands Channel Lineup to Include More than 170 Channels, Offering the Most Choice and the Most Channels In Satellite Radio

Monday March 27, 10:05 am ET
XM Adds 10 New Commercial-Free Music Channels and Seven Regional News and Talk Channels
Oprah & Friends channel debuts on XM in September; Bob Dylan's Exclusive XM Show Launches in May

WASHINGTON, March 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- XM Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: XMSR - News), the nation's leading satellite radio company with more than 6 million subscribers, today unveiled its new channel lineup that will expand the total number of XM channels to more than 170 with the addition of 10 new commercial-free music channels and seven regional news and talk channels coming this spring and summer.
ADVERTISEMENT

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20000724/XMSATLOGO )

"Our programming lineup demonstrates the depth and breadth of XM's industry-leading content portfolio," said Eric Logan, executive vice president of programming for XM Satellite Radio. "We continue to expand programming with our first-ever regional news and talk channels, innovative music formats, plus 10 new music channels that demonstrate XM's firm commitment to providing the most choice and most channels in satellite radio."

XM HAS THE MOST COMMERCIAL-FREE MUSIC CHANNELS

Overall, XM's new channel line-up has 69 commercial-free music channels, the most commercial-free music channels in satellite radio. XM added two new commercial-free music channels on March 1: Big Tracks (XM Channel 49), focusing on classic rock from the late 70's onward, and XM Chill (XM Channel 84), devoted to Chill music. During April and May, XM will bring the total number of new commercial-free music channels to 10. These new channels include the return of the heavy metal channel XM Liquid Metal by popular demand. The new commercial-free music channels on XM are:

-- Big Tracks (XM Channel 49): Classic Rock from the late 70's onward
-- XM Chill (XM Channel 84): Chill Music
-- U.S. Country (XM Channel 17): Country Superstars of the 80s & 90s
-- Flight 26 (XM Channel 26): Modern Hits of the 90's & Now
-- XM Hitlist (XM Channel 30): Today's Hit Music
-- enLighten (XM Channel 34): Southern Gospel
-- XM Liquid Metal (XM Channel 42): Heavy Metal
-- The Heat (XM Channel 68): Rhythmic Top 40
-- Escape (XM Channel 78): Easy Listening
-- Viva (XM Channel 91): Latin Pop Hits

NEW REGIONAL NEWS, TALK AND MUSIC CHANNEL CATEGORY
XM will introduce six new regional news and talk channels that will, for the first time, bring XM subscribers regional news coverage for every area of the continental U.S. These channels will be added to the line-up during the late spring/early summer period. Details about the new channels will be announced prior to launch. They will complement the recent addition of Cincinnati's tri-state news radio station WLW (XM Channel 160).

All seven regional news and talk channels provided by Clear Channel Communications will comprise a new category on the channel guide called "Regional News, Talk & Music Channels."

This new category will also include Clear Channel-programmed music channels KISS, MIX, Nashville, and Sunny, plus the launch of WSIX, with acclaimed country personality Gerry House live from Nashville. As previously announced, Clear Channel will start carrying commercials on these music channels in May, so they are grouped separately from XM's lineup of 69 commercial-free music channels on the new channel guide.

"OPRAH & FRIENDS" ON XM STARTING IN SEPTEMBER ON CHANNEL 156

The recently-announced Oprah & Friends channel will debut on XM channel 156, beginning in September 2006. The channel will feature a weekly reality radio show with Oprah Winfrey and the editor-at-large of O, The Oprah Magazine, Gayle King, as well as programs hosted by Oprah's friends, all experts who appear regularly on "The Oprah Winfrey Show," including exercise physiologist Bob Greene, author Marianne Williamson, psychologist Dr. Robin Smith, heart surgeon Dr. Mehmet Oz, and interior design expert Nate Berkus.

BOB DYLAN'S XM SHOW DEBUTS IN MAY ON "DEEP TRACKS"

Bob Dylan will host a weekly, hour-long music show exclusively on XM beginning in May on XM's deep album rock channel Deep Tracks (XM Channel 40). The program marks the first time the music legend has ever hosted a radio show. The show features an eclectic mix of music hand-selected by Dylan. He will offer regular commentary on music and other topics, and interview special guests, including fellow musicians.

MORE SPORTS ON XM

Major League Baseball is back in full swing on XM, the official satellite radio network of MLB. Baseball fans can hear games for every team, all season long on XM, from Opening Day on April 2 to the World Series this fall on XM channels 176 - 189. XM is also home to MLB Home Plate (XM Channel 175), the only national, 24-hour talk radio channel devoted to baseball.

XM's sports lineup also includes a newly launched channel dedicated to FIFA World Cup Soccer (XM Channel 148) featuring play-by-play coverage and original specials in English. Spanish-language coverage of FIFA World Cup Soccer will be available on XM Deportivo (XM Channel 147).

XM recently premiered a sports talk show co-hosted by political guru James Carville and Luke Russert, son of newsman Tim Russert. The hour-long Carville/Russert sports show "60/20" airs weekly on XM Live (XM Channel 200), Fridays at 8:00 am ET with encores at 9:00 am and 10:00 am and Saturdays at 9:00 am, 10:00 am and 11:00 am (all times ET).

Subscribers can block any channel by calling XM Listener Care at 1-800-XM- RADIO. Channels that may include frequent explicit language are indicated with an XL on the channel lineup. Complete information about XM's new programming lineup, including channel guides, is available online at http://www.xmradio.com/newlineup.

About XM Satellite Radio

XM (Nasdaq: XMSR - News) is America's number one satellite radio company with more than 6 million subscribers. Broadcasting live daily from studios in Washington, DC, New York City, the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, Toronto and Montreal, XM's 2006 lineup includes more than 170 digital channels of choice from coast to coast: the most commercial-free music, premier sports, talk, comedy, children's and entertainment programming; and the most advanced traffic and weather information.

XM, the leader in satellite-delivered entertainment and data services for the automobile market through partnerships with General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan, Porsche, Suzuki, Subaru, and Volkswagen/Audi, is available in more than 130 different vehicle models for 2006. XM's industry-leading products are available at consumer electronics retailers nationwide. For more information about XM hardware, programming and partnerships, please visit http://www.xmradio.com.

Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements in this press release include demand for XM Satellite Radio's service, the Company's dependence on technology and third party vendors, its potential need for additional financing, as well as other risks described in XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc.'s Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on 3-3-06. Copies of the filing are available upon request from XM Radio's Investor Relations Department.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: XM Satellite Radio, Inc.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
And the cuts this time:

The Torch
XM Music Lab
The Flow
Luna

For me, I'm kinda sad that XM Music Lab is going away, but not because it was any good, but the lost opportunity it was. That's the problem when you have a PM that doesn't give a damn.

Jason

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah Music Lab was interesting to say the least. More clear channel talk oh goody, just what I need to hear.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Add 10.
Take away 4.
So net add 6.
Plus add in 5 now-commerical programmed stations. So, that way they can keep same +1 commercial free.

Still, I will be very interested to see how this plays out on bandwidth.

I just can't see, how with the bandwith they have already assigned, they are coming up with 6 new channels at equal bandwidth. I'll be interested to see how that plays out.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks Jason. At least the channels remain on XM Online. I listen online at work a lot. The article also says that Jam bands are now heard on Deep Tracks. I like Deep Tracks as it is so I wonder if I'll notice a change.

I hear this quite a bit each time channels are added. To my ears, there hasn't been a quality change in the past. Does anyone have any actual info on the amount of bandwidth XM has and how much each channel consumes? I've heard a lot of talk on this subject but seen very little info. I'm not questioning anyone's info, I would just like to read the specs if they are available.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
i wonder where the prog stuff will go (king crimson, dream theater. ect)
glad to see liquid metal return, a real metal station (although it won't be for all tastes as they will probably have alot of the growlers instead of singers.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

The old XMLM was ALL growlers, which made it unlistenable for me. I'm not expecting it to be that much better when it comes back, so I'm sticking with Da Boneyard, which actually does a pretty good job.

Jason

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

Yeah, the problem is that the bands like Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Testament, Overkill, Motorhead, etc really have no place on XM....they're not a good fit for the Boneyard and not death metal enough for Liquid Metal. It's a shame because bands like that still have a big following and sold plenty of records. At least Hard Attack on Sirius is more balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks