What's new

XM lacking in sports coverage (1 Viewer)

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
It's too bad they don't have the NBA/NFL/AFL.....too bad Sirius can't share these with XM[i mean if cable tv/satellite tv can why can't Sirius/XM?]....if XM doesn't step up to the plate sports wise they may end up in serious trouble down the road imho.

Devin U

Second Unit
Both XM and Sirius have exclusive sports contracts with each league and some colleges and college confrences. If you were the only Toyota dealer in town, would you allow the Chevy dealer to sell new Toyotas?

If anyone is in trouble sports wise, its Sirius. They paid 220+ million dollars for the NFL thinking it would bring in alot of people. Well, it didnt. When their contract with the NFL is up in 5 years do you think the NFL will take anything less that the 60 million over 7 years they got previously. No, odds are, they will want more. And if Sirius isnt bringing in alot of subscriber for the NFL, do you think they will sign another contract? I dont think they would.

As far as the NBA, Im kinda bumed XM wont be able to carry any more games. Nascar I dont really care about. Alot of people think Sirius paid a ridiculous price for it. In fact, they paid so much they cut their sponsership of a Nascar race (I dont recall which one, but its at Watkins Glenn). I hope it will pay off for them, but they've shown that the NFL hasnt.

Edited for correct amount

Kevin N

Stunt Coordinator

Ironic that you blast XM using a cliché for the only sport that's just as good on the radio as on TV, and XM has it exclusively. :rolleyes

Chris

Senior HTF Member

This argument is specious.

Yes, SIRIUS paid $60M for the NFL. And their contract gains more value next year, when the NFL Network will have exclusive rights to 8 games. Which means for some people, if you are not a DirectTV subscribe, you're getting those games on SIRIUS... or nowhere.

And there were people who signed up for SIRIUS based on NFL, just as there are people who signed up based on the existance of Shade45, OutQ, or whatever else they want to listen to.

There are lots of factors to that. The reason to buy exclusives is in part to attract new clients - which it does, and in part to keep existing subscribers from hopping to the competition, etc.

SIRIUS paid big bucks for NFL ($60M) and XM paid big bucks for NHL ($100M). Both of them will attract an audience. How do you quantify that audience? It's difficult, but in part, it's advertising. SIRIUS has not been hurt at all by the fact that they add that as a feather in their cap.

At the end of the year:

SIRIUS: NFL, NBA, NASCAR, AFL, WorldSoccerLeague, International Rugby, NCAA March Madness are exclusives. Several U's (ie, Texas Athletics, USC, etc.) and so forth.

XM: NHL, MLB, focus on college conferences.

Both companies paid big bucks for their agreement (XM paid $500M for MLB; and as with SIRIUS, you can't say "oh, people subscribe in droves for just that") But it's all part of the game and improving what you offer ;)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Funny, the digital tier on Cox has NFL Network. I'm sure other cable companies are carrying NFL Network as well.

Personally, the main value I feel you get is either if you tailgate, or if you don't live in the area and don't want to get something like Sunday Ticket. Other than that, it is to listen to the NFL channel, but personally, I never thought they were worth the money. (Particularly Adam Schein and John Riggins.)

I'm also wondering where that 60m number came from as well, since I can't find it in my searches. XM's contract is over 10 years, and considering national broadcast in the US of hockey is still scattershot, it is probably a good deal for XM.

Jason

Devin U

Second Unit

Nascar isnt exclusive till 2007. Their exculsive soccer is the English Premier League, I dont even know what WorldSoccerLeague is, but XM will be exclusive on the world cup this year. And as far as exclusives, Sirius doesnt have USC. They have Texas, Kansas, Notre Dame, and Michigan according to their website. You can hear Michagans away games on XM, though.

Devin U

Second Unit

The English soccer league they carry is the English Premier League. I guess its about as worldly as the NFL. Its about the biggest soccer league right now, but not by much. Im sure alot of fans of the Spanish Primera Liga and the Italian league would argue that, though. And BTW, Beckham hasnt been with ManU for almost three years now. Hes with Real Madrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks