What's new

xitel hifi link (digital vs. analog) (1 Viewer)

james st. james

Auditioning
has anyone used the xitel hifi link (www.xitel.com) to listen to mp3s on their comp. through their stereo system? what were the results?
also, there is digital hifi link (http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...ifi&svbname=31) that connects to the receiver through optical inputs. how much of an improvement in quality would one experience with the digital link versus the analog link?
finally, does anyone know of any similar devices that are better and/or cheaper?
thanks a bunch,
james

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i posted pretty much the same thing a little while ago....but without much response....

i'm pretty sure the xitel products were packaged with some sony minidisc recorders and discmen....so you might be able to pick them up used from someone

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I would think the USB + optical digital cable in the Xitel unit would limit the distance your PC can be from your stereo. USB has a range limit and optical cable gets expensive over long distances.
I'd also guess that spitting your audio files out via USB eats up some CPU cycles. You're not going to want to play games on your PC while someone listens to mp3's on the stereo.
Why not use a soundcard with a digital (optical or coax) output? If that idea isn't appealing for some reason I'd go with something like the Slimp3.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i was thinkin about the analog one since i would think that it'd have a better DAC than my soundblaster pci128....as my receiver is strictly analog

KevinF

Auditioning
I've been using the analog xitel hifi link for a few months and so far I am pleased. The obvious mp3 sound quality drawbacks are more than offset by freeing up access to my over 400 cds which have been limited to a 5 cd changer up until now.

You are pretty much locked in to what you can do while this is running - all pc sound is transmitted to the stereo - so if you have pc-age kids you end up making the pc off limits unless you want to hear all of the game sounds, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread