XIII: which language to choose?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Francois Caron, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I'm fluent in both French and English to the point where I can easily switch from one language to another sometimes without even realizing it. In fact, my home is loaded with reading and viewing material available in both of Canada's official languages. Books, DVDs, satellite, you name it!

The game XIII will be available on Thursday in both English and French. Since the game is mainly set in the United States, do I buy the English language version to better match the environment? Or do I go with the French language version considering the comic book on which the game is based is originally published in French?

I've played the demo in both languages and can go either way without flinching especially since both versions are available for the same price ($35 Canadian when purchased with my $25 off frequent buyer coupon). But which version could be considered the OLT (Original Language Track) version?

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Well, they make a big deal out of hiring stars like David Duchovny to do the voice acting in English. I don't know who does the dub work.

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Um ... does it really matter as long as you enjoy the game?

4. Francois Caron

Francois Caron
    In a way, it does matter. I can tell when a dub track has been well done or has been botched. But with only two levels in the demo version, that's not enough to make a proper judgement call. Even worse, I have opposite preferences with the voices in the first level. The lifeguard sounds so nice in English but sounds rather cold in French. However, the guy in the speed boat sounds more sinister in French than in English. I managed to listen to Carrington's voice in French, but now I have to play the second level in English again to hear him one more time.

Does anyone else have these kind of problems? Or am I just nuts? [​IMG]

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

All that I can say is that this is one of the benefits to having a country that's primarily monolinguistic. [​IMG] To the people who are so depsperately trying to change that, please look at what Francois has to deal with! [​IMG]

Actually, I understand what you're saying, but I'm nuts, too, so what do I know? [​IMG] I've watched dubbed shows where I felt that the dub voice was either blatantly superior or inferior to the original. Sometimes the dub is so out of place that it jumps out at you and overshadows everything else. For situations like yours, it's too bad that they don't start to make games like DVDs - change the audio track with a keypress.

6. Francois Caron

Francois Caron