Xenosaga - Episode 1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Rogers, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Anyone else looking forward to this game? I loved a Xenogears and think that it surpasses every Final Fantasy game to date.

Also, does anyone know a projected release date for it in the u.s.?

I am still a little confused as to what this is too. O know it's not a traditional sequel--but more of a remake, done with the story that they originally wanted. I think.

2. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Very excited.

All I know is that most of the original team who worked on Xenogears at Squaresoft has been re-assembled to do Xenosaga. I am especially looking forward to the game's soundtrack, which will be done by Xenogears composer Yasunori Mitsuda. Many or all of the tracks (I don't know exactly how the soundtrack will end up) will be fully orchestrated by the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

A lot of the character designers and artists from Xenogears are working on the game, and the director of Xenogears is the director of Xenosaga. Should be a great game containing all of the elements that made Xenogears so special.

The release date has been pushed back in Japan ...the last date I heard was March, but it could have slipped again since then. I don't believe a US release is currently scheduled, but there will no doubt be a US release because of the extremely enthusiastic fan base that Xenogears has collected Stateside.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Never played the first and wasn't very interested, but this one looks a little more interesting.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

the first one suprised me.

Hidden inside that little plastic package was an exciting, well thought out story that I can as being controversial. It touched religion a little more than most games would dare to.

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Xenogears is my favorite console RPG ever and the game took over my life for almost 2 months while I played it. (I gonna have to find some time to replay it soon)
    I wish Square today would focus allot more on these games than the FF series (Yes I know its thier bread and butter and they are a business after all[​IMG]). I personally enjoy most of the "other" RPG's they make more than the newer FF titles. Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross and Xenogears were all fantastic games that showed Square was more than just "The house of Final Fantasy". This is all IMHO of course.
    When the game was first announced I was a bit shocked to see this was being published by Namco. Kind of threw me for a loop[​IMG]. With that said though Xenosaga is shaping up well and I am eagerly anticipating its release. If it is even close to the quality of the first game I will be a very happy man.

7. Sean Oneil

I agree. Xenogears has also got to be one of, if not my favorite console RPGs ever. Like Romier, I was a little worried that Square had nothing to do with the title, but then I found out that most everyone critical to Xenogears had been re-assembled to work on Xenosaga.

Square is updating some of the FF series for next generation consoles -I just wish they would consider updating Xenogears. It would be nice to finally play through the 'directors cut' where instead of Dr. Citan sitting down and telling a large portion of the second half of the story, you actually get to play through all of it instead.

Maybe someday, if Xenosaga does well enough, then Square might re-visit Xenogears on a next generation system.

8. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

With most of the primary creators now working at Namco I think it's highly unlikely Square will ever do anything with Xenogears again.
    Have you guys seen the latest screenshots? God, it looks fan-freakin-tastic.

9. Sean Oneil

I am not sure that they all 'work' at Namco -rather they have their own upstart publishing house and struck up a distribution deal with Namco -I believe that is the case?
    Besides, Squaresoft still holds the rights to Xenogears, so I can always hope [​IMG]
    Thanks for those screen shots [​IMG]
    It does look incredible. Damn! I hope that this is going to be the 'mystery RPG' that Namco is planning to release on the X-Box.

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

From the short demo I played, reviews I read, and things I heard from others, it seemed like a great game, but didn't interest me one bit. I love Squaresoft, but they didn't actually develop this game, they had something to do with it and then published it.

11. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Square developed Xenogears.

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Square published it, I know that, but I thought the actual development was done by someone else.

13. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Yeah, it was developed by a Square dev team. A bunch of people from that team (at least a number of key individuals) started up Monolith Soft which I think is at least partly owned by Namco.