Xena: Warrior Princess-Season 5 10/19

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brandon Gantt, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

PRESS RELEASE
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
    September 7th , 2004
    Death Couldn't Keep Xena From Another Season Of Adventures!
    Xena Warrior Princess - Season Five

Davis-Anderson Merchandising Corp & Anchor Bay Entertainment Present the Deluxe Collector's Edition Ten-Disc DVD Set Featuring 22 Original Episodes Plus Hours of All-New Bonus Materials

Available October 19, 2004

WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA -* In a collection of episodes like no other, Xena's extraordinary fifth season ratchets up the intrigue with a spellbinding episode-to-episode storyline built upon the Warrior Princess' shocking discovery that she's carrying a child of unknown origins.* Davis-Anderson Merchandising Corp and Anchor Bay Entertainment present the DVD debut of the newest collection of legendary Xena adventures with the must-own Xena Warrior Princess - Season Five collection.* Priced at a collectible $79.98 SRP and scheduled for release on October 19, 2004, this ten-disc DVD set features the complete fifth season of 22 original episodes digitally re-mastered with 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound with over 10 hours of new interactive bonus materials exclusive to the DVD.
    From the season opener, "Fallen Angel," through the explosive season-closer, "Motherhood," Xena's inexplicable pregnancy fuels a frenzy of attacks and counter-attacks between the mortal and immortal worlds.* Finally, the mind-blowing truth behind Xena's unborn child's identity and who the child becomes is revealed.* Highlighted by classic episodes like, "Chakram," and the musical "Lyre, Lyre, Hearts on Fire," Season Five on DVD is a must for any Xena fan!
    The exciting ten-disc boxed set of Xena: Warrior Princess - Season Five, includes hours of exhilarating bonus features and exclusive supplemental materials:

Interviews with Actors, Producers, Writers, Directors and Costume Designers including: Lucy Lawless, Renee O'Connor, Michael Hurst, Rob Tapert, Hudson Leick, Ted Raimi, R.J. Stewart, Steven L. Sears, Donald Duncan, Robert Field, Jane Holland and many more!

Audio commentaries with Lucy Lawless, Renee O'Connor, Executive Producer Rob Tapert and Co-Producer Chris Manheim
    Alternate Director's cuts and deleted scenes

Special Featurette - Bringing Monsters to Life: Part 2

Special Featurette - 100th episode B-roll footage

Never-before-seen on set footage

Production drawings and sketches

Photo Gallery

CD-ROM features including:
    Actor, director and writer Biographies
    Series trivia
    Xena Chronicles
    Extensive original production designs and sketches

In a time of ancient gods, ruthless warlords and capricious kings, a land in turmoil cried out for a hero. She was Xena, a mighty Warrior Princess forged in the heat of battle.* Together with her sidekick Gabrielle in tow, Xena battles barbarians, overcomes oppressors and defeats demigods to protect the innocent and fight for peace in ancient Greece.* Combining the series' trademark humor and dark mythological drama with Lucy Lawless' fiery and sexy persona, Xena: Warrior Princess*completely redefined the role of the female action hero on television.
    Xena: Warrior Princess began as a spin-off of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, premiering as a series in 1995.* In its first season, the adventures of this formidable female fighter became the most popular new syndicated series on television, with ratings that exceeded even those of Baywatch.* Nominated for six Emmy Awards, the series was honored for Outstanding Music Composition in 2000.* During its original run of six seasons, Xena aired over 130 episodes, and with its stablemate Hercules, built a fiercely loyal cult following with legions of devoted fans that spawned nearly 1,500 websites, hundreds of individually licensed properties and conventions around the world.* For further Xena information please go to the official Xena website www.xenacatalog.com

2. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

Here's an exact content breakdown of the set from www.ausxip.com

Xena Season 5 DVD Content

Disc# 1
    FALLEN ANGEL (Audio Commentary/Video Commentary - Eric Gruendemann, RJ Stewart) (Interviews - Hudson Leick, Jane Holland, RJ Stewart)

CHAKRAM (Interviews - -Doug Lefler, Chris Manheim, Lucy Lawless & Renee O'Connor)

SUCCESSION

Photo Gallery
    Credits Crawl
    Weblink

Disc# 2
    ANIMAL ATTRACTION (Interviews - Rick Jacobson, Chris Manheim, Donald Duncan)

THEM BONES, THEM BONES (Interviews - Eric Gruendemann, Donald Duncan, Rob Field)

PURITY

Disc# 3
    BACK IN THE BOTTLE (Interviews - Rick Jacobson, Jane Holland, John Cavill)

LITTLE PROBLEMS

SEEDS OF FAITH (Audio Commentary/Video Commentary - Lucy Lawless & Renee O'Connor) (Interviews - Hudson Leick, Robert Tapert, Donald Duncan)

Disc# 4
    LYRE, LYRE, HEARTS ON FIRE (Interviews - Lucy Lawless & Renee O'Connor, Ted Raimi, Adam Armus & Kay Foster)

PUNCH LINES

GOD FEARING CHILD (Interviews - Lucy Lawless & Renee O'Connor, Phillip Sgriccia, Donald Duncan)

Disc# 5
    ETERNAL BONDS (Interviews - Chris Manheim)

AMPHIPOLIS UNDER SIEGE

MARRIED WITH FISHSTICKS (Interviews - Rob Tapert, Eric Gruendemann, Donald Duncan, Jane Holland)

Disc# 6
    LIFEBLOOD (Interviews - Rob Tapert, Michael Hurst, RJ Stewart, Jane Holland)

KINDRED SPIRITS

ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA (Audio Commentary/Video Commentary - Renee O'Connor, Rob Tapert, Lucy Lawless, Michael Hurst) (Interviews - Josephine Davison, RJ Stewart, Donald Duncan)

Disc#7
    LOOKING DEATH IN THE EYE

LIVIA (Interviews - Adrienne Wilkinson,

William Gregory Lee, Rick Jacobson, Chris Manheim)

EVE (Interviews - William Gregory Lee, Adrienne Wilkinson, RJ Stewart, Chris Manheim)

Disc# 8
    MOTHERHOOD (Audio Commentary/Video Commentary - Rob Tapert & Lucy Lawless & Renee O'Connor) (Interviews - Josephine Davison, Rick Jacobson, Adrienne Wilkinson, Rob Field, William Gregory Lee)

Gabrielle Wardrobe - Renee O'Connor costume fitting (Approx. 5 min.)

Bringing Monsters to Life at K.N.B. EFX Group - Special Effects make up house K.N.B. EFX Group takes the viewer on a ride through monsters, blood and makeup exposing the secrets behind creating some of the most memorable TV monsters and make up effects moments. (approx. 10min)

Disc #9
    100th episode B-Roll - See behind the scenes raw footage of all the cast and crew while shooting Seeds of Faith, the monumental 100th Xena episode. (Approx. 30 min.)

Alternate Cuts - Director's and Editor's cuts of the episodes; Motherhood and Animal Attraction (approx. 30 min.)

"Best Buy" Interviews - Exclusive bonus interviews with cast and crew including Lucy Lawless, Renee O'Connor, Robert Tapert, Bruce Campbell, Ted Raimi, Eric Gruendemann, Liz Friedman and many more. (Approx. 30 min.)

Disc# 10
    CD-ROM:
    Chronicles
    Trivia
    Bios
    Mythology (Ares, Athena, Aphrodite, etc...)

3. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Sadly, this is where the series really started to go downhill, though not as badly as season 6, when they got rid of a bunch of their best writers.

Still, Eternal Bonds is one of my absolute favorite episodes and I have the first four season, so I guess I've been suckered into buying this.

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Still, it might sell well since it was also the season when the show started vanishing from the airwaves. Here in the Boston broadcast market, the show wasn't to be found (I think it aired in the afternoons or weekends or at 3am or something).

So I'll be interested in seeing how the series ended.

5. Roni F

Roni F Stunt Coordinator

S5 is what I'll call an eventual must buy for me, if that makes any sense. Xena is one of my all-time favorite shows, and means a lot to me personally, but S5 as a whole was just... wrong, and awful. The writing on the show was really inconsistent starting with the Rift in the third season, and S5 was by far the worst IMO. That was the season when Steve Sears and Liz Friedman had left, and Rob Tapert and R.J. Stewart pretty much left the show in the hands of the other writers so they could concentrate on the new Jack of All Trades and Cleopatra 2525 series. There are a few individual scenes that I like, and the luminous Renee O'Connor is always amazing, but there isn't a single episode that I can watch the whole way through. I don't think I'll be at Best Buy the day it comes out, but I will get it eventually just to fill out the entire series. There's also no incentive to buy it right away because S6 is definitely on the way.

And Will, the last two seasons did air in Boston. It moved to Saturday at 1 p.m. for S5.

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Roni, I mostly agree, except I think Chris Manheim was their best writer. She wrote four episodes this season, all of which were at least decent and I found Animal Attraction and Eternal Bonds to be especially good. In fact, I loved the whole Amarice storyline.

From glancing over tvtome, I don't think season 5 rteally went bad until its ninth episode, Seeds of Faith, and there were still a couple good episodes after that.

Still, the problemms of seaosn 6 were quite apparent by the end: tendency to just drop plotlines, discontinuity of character, plot and perhaps worst of all, theme. Hell, I could write a whole essay on this. I very well might once I have all the episodes for reference.

I can't remember there being a single good episode in season 6. There were a few that had potential, but were ruined by the aforementioned lapses in logic and continuity. Soul Possession is prime exaple here.

7. Chris Roberts

Chris Roberts Stunt Coordinator

Logic? Continuity? This is Xena we're talking about here right? Where the woman can jump 20' straight into the air and beat up "gods"?

I always thought the writers/actors just had fun with the episodes and never took it seriously. Admittedly though I didn't see a lot of seasons 5/6 as I'm also in the Boston area. I've always liked Hercules better as a show anyway so I won't be too disappointed. As long as Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Connor still look good...

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The problem is that the show wasn't a light comedy. Not for long anyway. THat in itself isn't the problem, but if the show is going to have a serious tone, the writers need to take it seriously.

The show had a huge problem, starting in season 3 or so, where there would be mostly really gut-wrenching drama, then they would have a comedy episode that was a complete break from the tone and characterization of the rest of the series. While they did have a few funny episodes that fit well (A Comedy of Eros, The Quill is Mightier, A Day in the Life, Animal Attraction), these were not the norm after season 2.

When I talk about discontinuity, I'm not talking about the constant recasting of supporting characters or anachronisms, I'm talking about actual serious problems: Spoilers for most of the show.

In Soul Possession, we learn Gabrielle essentially sold her soul to save Hope. But the whole reason Hope was dead was Gabrielle killed her. Just moments before she supposedly made the deal with Ares. She'd spent the whole season learning why she had to kill hope and nothing happened in those few seconds to change her mind.

In season 6, the show was moved 25 years into the future presumably in order to have Livia/Eve as an adult. Then, halfway through the season she was dropped and never seen again. Meanwhile, they had gotten rid of alll the rest of their supporting cast save Ares and Aphrodite. Not to mention the whole Michael storyline, also just dropped.

In the finale, Xena says she has to stay dead or the population of Higuchi won't be avenged and it will undo everything they've done. Isn't this a legimization of revenge, which counteracts the whole point of the series?

I take back what I said earlier about there being no good episodes in season 6. The Ring 2-parter and You Are There were pretty good. The Last of the Centaurs wasn't bad either, though it had its problems.

You Are There is a good example of what I'm talking about. While the premise might not make sense in big picture, it doesn't contradict the characters or any major plot points, so it's okay.

However, a sudden inexplicable shift in Gabrielle's or Xena's personalities and general lack of direction are not acceptable.

I believe it was Rob Tapert who, in response to fan complaints about the rift storyline in season 3, said that a show is like a shark. If it doesn't keep moving, it dies. I find it ironic he used the shark analogy considering where this philosophy took the show. I suppose he's right, but I'd add moving to the wrong place or without really knowing where you're going can be equally fatal.

9. Chris Roberts

"Isn't this a legimization of revenge, which counteracts the whole point of the series?"

Redemption comes from good deeds and self-sacrifice. Giving up your own life/happiness for the good of others is the ultimate sacrifice.

10. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Yes, from that perspective it's fine. Xena's death redeeming her makes sense, but not her victims.

11. Chris Roberts

I've really been enjoying S5 and only have the last two episodes left. I'd say its as good as any other season of Xena if not one of the best. Great to see Gabrielle as a warrior.
    I particularly liked Lifeblood. The only episode I haven't liked was the musical one.