xbr910 worth it over hs510?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Henry_P, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Henry_P

Henry_P Auditioning

Hey fellas, I'm in the market for my first HDTV. I saw a Sony KV-34HS510 on display at CC that I thought had excellent picture quality. They were showing some HDTV demo material. My question is how much better will the picture be on a KV-34XBR910? I was very pleased with the HS510, but if the XBR910 is a lot better I am willing to pay for it. I am willing to spend up to $3000 but don't want to waste money on minute differences in quality.

2nd question:
    Are there any tv's at or under $3000 that will give me that "Damn, I'm looking through a window!" effect? I saw a plasma at Sears that displayed a picture so real I thought I could touch the object on the screen.

Will appreciate any help, thanks.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

For DVD, there is pretty much little difference between the sets.

For HD ... yes ...

The less expensive set has a horizontal resolution of about 800-900 lines edge to edge (left to right). The more expensive SOny has a rating of about 1300 to 1400 lines left to right.

It can display more detail from a HD signal ... but given the 34" size and where most people sit, the difference may not be obvious or may be totally irrelevant.

Regards

3. JamesClif

JamesClif Extra

The JVC AV-34WP84 direct view set will give you that Looking through a window effect for a much cheaper price than any of the Sonys.

4. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I have the 34xbr910, and when watching a good HD signal I get the window effect. I love the set and have no regrets on it.

I have heard good things about the JVC, but I would place it in the same category as the HS510, the Panny and Toshiba 34" sets. Excellent PQ for the money, but a slight step below the 910.

5. John S

John S Producer

With the lights down, even CRT RPTV gives that effect. Quite stunning when the image seems to be floating somehow in your living room.