XBR450-some initial impressions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Captain Spaulding, Jun 14, 2001.

1. Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding Second Unit

Jay
    I've had a few days to play with the XBR450. It replaced an XBR250. Some quick impressions:
    Very good out of the box. Service menu tweaking included turning off the red push, decreasing overscan [which was not too bad to begin with], centering the picture, and a slight geometry adjustment to the lower corners. I probably could have done more, but decided to quit while I was ahead [​IMG] Letterbox bars look just about perfect. If I look REALLY hard, I can sometimes see a very slight bulge in the lower bar. I did not need to adjust the tilt. The NTSC standard setting does seem VERY "red",which is how its supposed to look. The XBR250 NTSC setting was not this red. However,it is very difficult to get used to. I'm giving it a chance,but may return to the "neutral" setting which looks great. I know, that's a heretical statement!
    Video from a TiVo looks better than I've seen on previous sets. DVD's of course look tremendous. I do not see any real obvious improvements when the DRC is set to "Cinemotion" [Sony's 3:2 pull down mode] as opposed to its regular interlaced mode. Audio from the built in speakers is a bit better than in many TV's. I don't know what the designers were thinking when they came up with the stand for the 450. Let's just say it looks "interesting"! I found a great TechCraft stand that will hold a 36" set up to 240 pounds. The stand's best feature is a space for a large center channel directly under the TV. Perfect for my situation.
    Questions? [​IMG]

2. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    A properly set up D6500 grayscale on the TV does not look reddish at all.
    It is the only thing that should look neutral because in our TV system, that's what neutral grays should be.
    If you think the images look reddish, then there is either something wrong with the TV's warm mode or ... you have been watching images that are too blue for far too long and your colour perception is skewed.
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

4. Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding Second Unit

Jay
    Excellent analysis,Michael. That's exactly it...I'm not sure if the warm mode is set incorrectly or if,indeed,I've just been watching a "too blue" picture for too long. It's interesting that Sony describes the "warm" mode as "reddish whites"! I'm sure an ISF calibration is the only way to get the true answer.

5. WillY

WillY Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the rundown on the TV. I will be receiving mine this Sunday; will it look good without messing with the service menu? I mean I will run it through Avia, but that's about all I'm willing to do...
    Also, with the line doubling and the 3:2 pulldown on the TV, will that be passable compared to an actual progressive player? I have a feeling I'm going to want a progressive player anyway once I start watching this TV, but want to hold off for a progressive 300 disc changer. That, and I can only drop so much coin at a time...
    And how will my PS2 games look line doubled? That's one of the reasons I got a tube over projection.
    Thanks for the help.
    ------------------

6. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

quote: If you think the images look reddish, then there is either something wrong with the TV's warm mode or ... you have been watching images that are too blue for far too long and your colour perception is skewed.[/quote]
    While I have seen plenty of TV sets belonging to "Joe Sixpack" that are adjusted to a very un-natural looking picture, I don't think that too many Home Theater Forum members adjust their sets to "taste" rather than what looks natural.
    If you adjust your set to what looks natural, ie a tree on a well-mastered DVD looks like a tree in your yard, the sky on that DVD looks like the actual sky looks (assuming equivalent pollution conditions), and so on, then if a setting looks reddish, then it is reddish.
    If you adjust your set only according to numbers, and you end up with something as un-natural looking as Joe Sixpack, and you stick with it because it is mathematically correct, then you are ultimately ending up with the same thing as Joe Sixpack, just for different reasons.