xbr450 / 16x9 / cropped image ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Wiffen, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Wiffen

Jeffrey Wiffen Stunt Coordinator

I have a Toshiba SD5700 (progressive out) connected to my 32XBR450 via: component cables. I’ve noticed that some of the widescreen image is cropped on the sides (5% maybe), and to get the complete widescreen image I have to “zoom out”. Is this unusual or common? I was under the impression that the XBR450’s would display the whole widescreen image. I can only assume that it has something to do with the SD5700’s progressive feed. I understand that the progressive feed disables the XBR’s internal DRC and that you have to manually change to 16x9 mode. But, I don’t think that I have to “zoom out” whenever I want to watch a movie. I’ve noticed this problem with Attack of the Clones, Monster’s Inc, etc. (which are both anamorphic).

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

TV's typically have 5% overscan anyway on everything so seeing 5% on DVD's is not exactly a new thing.

Regards

3. Paul Stiles

Paul Stiles Agent

You can find several websites that will explain how to go into the xbr450's service mode where you can adjust the height and width of the image to get more or less overscan.

Paul