XBR400 White Level Problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NateM, May 16, 2001.

1. NateM

NateM Agent

A long while back I remember there was a thread mentioning that there is a problem with the white level on Sony's XBR400s, leading to a loss of detail, when recieving a progressive signal from a dvd player. In this somebody said that they had found a way to correct this problem by changing something in the service menu. Unfortunately I can't find this thread anymore. And since I own an XBR400 and I'm planning on buying a progressive player soon I'd really like to know how to fix this problem. Does anybody here remember what to do or even remember the thread I'm talking about?

2. NateM

NateM Agent

Sorry to bump this up, but does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd really like to know how to fix this problem before I buy my new player. Thanks.

3. TimBoyd

TimBoyd Auditioning

Nate,
    I have a 36XBR400 and the S9000ES Progressive Player.
    I've not seen any white level problem, nor a thread on one.
    I HAVE adjusted it using the Avia adjustment disk and decreased the red level from the service menu.
    You should use Avia or Video Essentials to adjust white and black levels using PICTURE and BRIGHTNESS controls from the standard menu.
    Best /Tim

4. NateM

NateM Agent

I've calibrated my set using Avia already. I was just wondering if anybody had seen the problem I was talking about, although I kind of doubt anyone would remember since the thread was started around November of last year. Anyways its reassuring to hear you haven't seen the problem. Thanks for the reply.

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Although I don't have this model TV the following may give some insight into the problem.
    A few years ago my laserdisk player had the same symptoms, washed out whites and the Video Essentials gray scale with the top four steps all the same maximum white.
    Turns out that the LD player was outputting video out of specs and overloading the input stage of the line doubler. (For those folks who used reel to reel tape recorders or the more advanced cassette decks you have seen level meters sometimes reading too high resulting in distorted sound.)
    I would have had to adjust pots inside the LD player but soon after I discovered the problem the LD player broke and I bought another that did not have the problem.
    In your case you would have to search for some service menu entry that adjusts the level of the incoming video.
    Also, after setting white level with AVIA or Video Essentials, turn it down somewhat more to forestall screen burn, then complete the rest of your calibrations. The latest consensus is that for RPTV or FPTV, the picture control should be under 40% of its range or whatever AVIA suggests, whichever is lower, if you can tolerate that given the overall lighting level in the room.
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. NateM

NateM Agent

Just an update if anyone is interested. I just got my new player (JVC723GD) and have been trying it out for a few days. I've recalibrated my system using Avia and thus far I haven't noticed any problems with the white level. I guess all my worrying was for not after all. Anyway, thanks to all who replied to my question.