xbr400 black screen need help before mon.plz

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by hwshi, Aug 17, 2002.

1. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

hi all, well the other nite my girlfriend and i were watching tv and started chatting looked back at the tv and there was no image-just a black screen!!!
    now there has been very hot temps. here in ontario with major power consumption so thought it might of been a spike in power. have un-plugged tv. for various durations of time and still no luck(its also what sony suggested).
    so now we have a tech. coming out on monday and am looking for any suggestions as too what it could be and what to ask the service tech. don't want to be taken for a ride,and if it wasn't a power issue do i have any recourse with sony? no extended service plan but come on i've had 400$ tvs last over 10 years?!
    any replies appreciated,hwshi
    p.s. there is still sound coming out of the tv.and yes i've cycled through the various inputs,not even the green lettering for input comes up.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Does a red light on the front panel blink while all this is happening?

Your power supply may have expired, I think.

3. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

hey jack,thanks for repying! it's blinking, so would that be an expensive repair and something he could do here at my house? what could have caused this?
    wondering because i do have a surge protector that came with some type of warranty and am wondering isn't that what the damn thing is supposed to protect against.strange that nothing else in the rack was toasted?
    which makes me believe its a tv only disaster pointing to sony.in which case they are going to get an earfull!!
    an anxious expensive tv buyer concerned,hwshi

4. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

well according to another board reply this problem is a the common culprit in xbr400 deaths. and a new board is required to fix it. and according to the poster of the reply should be a well documented defect over at sony.hmmm if this is a defect on a 3000$ can. tv they better own up.