Xbr = ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    just curious what makes the XBR's different and justifies the price increase. a salesman at the hifi store i work at said XBR stands for Xtra Bucks Required, as most people can't see the difference in Sony's two lines. what's it really mean?

2. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Whether the XBRs are worth the price increase or not is debatable. However, they are HDTV-compatible, whereas the lower model FV and FS series are not HDTV-compatible. This means that there is higher quality when viewing DVD and other hi-def material (from what I've seen in demo units, anyways). I've noticed a much improved picture on the XBRs when compared with the lower FS/FV models. However, I opted for the FV27 because of the price-matching at Sears and I couldn't afford the XBR set.

The FS/FV series are pretty good choices if you're looking for a direct view TV to get you through the bumpy ride until they change to the HDTV standard. If I had the money I would definitely opt for the XBR series (and if I had an extra $1500.00 I would have gone for the Tosh. 60H80 RPTV).