What's new

Xboxs "other" killer app (1 Viewer)

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Well after a few weeks with my Xbox I have come to the conclusion that Halo is not the only killer app available. Project Gotham has found that status with me as well. This game has completely rejuvenated my love for racing games.

What stands out the most for me is the challenge; it never goes away! With most racing games as you progress through the game and get better cars the challenge seems to just fall away and the car takes over where your driving skill lacks. This is not the case with Project Gotham, even with the F50 the easy quick race opponents will keep up with you.

The graphics in this game are fantastic, with realistic lighting, real-time reflections, rock solid frame rate you'll find yourself comparing them to the real thing instead of other games.

One thing that sets this game above the rest is the camera controls. You have SO many options to change its not funny. Regular lens or fisheye widescreen lens, look down on the car or straight from behind, go from the stomach turning bumper cam to 2 car lengths behind the car. The only complaint I have is the missing cockpit view, which is a little disappointing not to have in the game.

The music is perfect, because I chose it. This is my favorite feature of this game. Rip you own songs and blast them during the game all you want. This is what gaming should be like and I'm glad is finally here!

The replay value of this game is great, with all of the modes and things to unlock I'll be playing this game for months before I have everything unlocked. Even the best players will have a mode or track that will prove to be a heart pounding challenge. Completing this game will truly be an accomplishment to be proud of.

If your in to arcade racers this game is an absolute must have, and in my opinion the "other" killer app for Xbox.

Dean

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Does this mean that there is a 16:9 viewpoint?
Its more like an widescreen enhanced DVD, the picture is stretched up so that it looks normal on a widescreen TV in full mode. Not something that would give you black bars on a 4:3 TV.

Lens types are real, normal, wide, fisheye. To try the different types hit pause during a race and go in to the camera menu.

Dean

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Wow, cool, Dean--I didn't even know about the camera options!
I agree 100% with you. When I got my Xbox the only game I got was Halo and then I rented half a dozen others to see what my next purchase would be. They were all fun, but Gotham was by far the best. So good, it convinced my brother-in-law to buy an Xbox just to play it!!
I have never had this much fun with a racing game. You summed up the experience perfectly. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
How is the audio? Is it a good, active 5.1 environment? That is to say, as cars creep up behind you, can you hear them lurking in the rear channels?

Andy

James D S

Screenwriter
Dean,

Does this mean that Michael should update his 16x9 list to reflect PGR's fisheye camera?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
MSR for Dreamcast (unofficial predecessor to PGR) had a hidden widescreen mode that could only be unlocked by beating a special race... :) Cool fact...

Barry S

Stunt Coordinator
So Metropolis Street Racer for Dreamcast was the predecessor to Project Gotham? I thought Project Gotham was related to the PS2 racer, Midnight Club Street Racing.

Trevor_J

Second Unit
How is the audio? Is it a good, active 5.1 environment? That is to say, as cars creep up behind you, can you hear them lurking in the rear channels?
Andy, the 5.1 is dead on. The engine sounds pan across the speakers perfectly. In fact, its adds to the game play as you can block approaching cars by listening to which side they are behind you.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I just picked up this game. I want to comment that the audio is slightly disappointing, IMO. The car sounds are not very good & the surround sound is mediocre & has no center channel content.

Just nitpicking a little since the question was brought up by Andy. I suppose Halo has spoiled me in this regard. PGR is not a bad sounding game, it just isn't in the same league as Halo IMO.

I also noticed that some of the tracks are really dark...a problem that MSR had, as well. (is it that hard to include a brightness control in the game?)

-Dan B

Trevor_J

Second Unit
I agree with you. It is not in the same league as Halo, but I find it to be 'good enough'.
As for the darkness, you're right. Those evening races can be difficult. It's just light enough so that your headlights are useless but dark enough that it's hard to see.
Just wait till you do a race in the fog :).

Dan B

Screenwriter
Tim, you can find it near the top of the topics in the Gaming Software forum. It has been made "sticky" by the moderators, which means that it stays at the top of the posts.

-Dan B.

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
Those twilight races are a bitch, because while it's hard for you to see the turns, the computer racers drive like it's daylight out.

It's a fun game, but it also ranks high on the frustration meter because there's really no margin of error. If you make one mistake or get bumped into a spin you're pretty much SOL and have to restart.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Best feature:

Being able to restart a race, even when you are using a Joker. I seem to remember MSR for Dreamcast not letting you do that. One mistake and you were SOL!

This game is definitely one of my XBox fave's, and my favorite racing game ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks