XBox360 HD-DVD sold out

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Not if your mind is focussed on "format war".

But if you are a consumer who planned to buy one - you know now that it may take some time before it arrives in your home.

Cees

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
First in line at my gamestop to order one!!

Should be there tomorrow, or Wednesday, with my free HD-DVD!

Now I just need to find a VGA adapter and I'm all set! Bring on the High Def revolution! (V for Vendetta that is...
)

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
Wouldn't anyone looking to buy one find that out anyway? The article/post doesn't concern availablity, but rather "demand".

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I quess the same could be said for the pre-sales of the PS3. We still have no idea how many will actually ship.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
true, but at least we've been given a figure from sony, and are receiving totals from a variety of stores.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Just what I want, inflated numbers from Sony. And the total pre-sales added up to what, 30 or 40 thousand at the high end with no gaurantee that they will be delivered on the release day. As far as numbers from Sony, they have already stated cutting back on those.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
numbers from all the companies have been cut back. that's the way of the world. but we don't have any idea how many of these add-ons were made available, or were planed to be available. 10? 10,000? , 10,000,000? Nobody seems to know.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Well, Amazon claims Availability: Usually ships within 2 to 4 days. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Of course there's no sign they are preparing to ship mine, ordered as soon as I saw they had it available.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

The product seems to be going in and out of availabilty on a daily (maybe hourly) basis. Either that means the presales are high, and Amazon keeps geeting a new allocation from MS, or the the Amazon system is screwed up. Take your pick.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I think this is great news, because it no doubt shows that gamers ARE willing to check out HD-DVD. Maybe the same will be true with the PS3 and Blu-Ray. Either way, it's great news for the future of HD on disc.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Well, one fact is for sure: there are more of those boxes ordered in this short period than was anticipated by the manufacturer.

Also: all of these customers are specifically interested in HD DVD. Interesting!

Cees

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
For those interested in finding one of these, a district manager for GameCrazy (game store inside Hollywood Video) said they are expecting 2+ drives per store to start arriving today 11/09/06 and tomorrow. They are expected in stores at BestBuy and Walmart etc next week. For $199 this is the cheapest way to try out one of the new HD disc formats as the drive has been confirmed to work on XP and Vista PC's via USB with HD-DVD compatible software. Just a heads up...

Edit: For clarification - you would need a video card in your PC capable of HD video out and for 1080p it would need to be HDCP compliant of course. Otherwise you would need an Xbox360 Core at the minimum.

Brent T

Second Unit
Checked my two local EB and Gamestops in the philly area, each are sold out and werent sure when they would be getting more in. They had 5-10 Units each and I was told if I want one to order it online.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
AVS is flooded with posts from people that picked their's up at Circuit City. Just an FYI.

Doug

RAF

Senior HTF Member
While waiting for the Nintendo Wii online ordering to begin this evening on EBGames, I noticed that the XBox360 HD-DVD drive was in stock for $199 (with the free King Kong Disc) so I ordered one on a whim. The direct link is here (assuming they remain in stock.) I'll let you know how it compares to my Toshiba XA-1.

P.S. I was successful at getting a Wii Bundle pre-ordered (window of opportunity lasted about 5 minutes I understand) but that's another subject for another forum area.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PJay