What's new

Xbox (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Playing games like Project Gotham Racing or Tony Hawk are ten times more enjoyable to me when I can rip my own music tracks instead of being limited to the game soundtrack
Though, truthfully, there are two arguments that can be made here. First of all, it's not that hard to make a custom mix of songs on a CD and play it in a CD player while you play a game (though that would probably result in losing all sound from the game). Second, if a game is really that good, the soundtrack should be of high quality also and not need to be replaced by other music. Putting crappy music in a game so people can make their own soundtracks is just lazy (hopefully this will never happen). Though the argument could go the other way.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
First of all, it's not that hard to make a custom mix of songs on a CD and play it in a CD player while you play a game (though that would probably result in losing all sound from the game). Second, if a game is really that good, the soundtrack should be of high quality also and not need to be replaced by other music. Putting crappy music in a game so people can make their own soundtracks is just lazy (hopefully this will never happen).
:confused: Those are no arguments since:

1) Just about everyone here runs their Xbox to their receiver, you're telling me you'd rather set you Xbox to play on TV and your receiver to pump out music? *gag*

2) PGR and THPS don't have crappy music, not by far. Your "hopefully this will never happen" argument is just speculation.

Morgan you remind me of me during the whole SNES vs Genesis scene. There is NOTHING bad about ripping your own songs for a game, no matter how many excuses you try to make. ;) Admit it, if Gamecube had this feature and Xbox didn't you'd be all for it.

James D S

Screenwriter
437th verse same as the first...

I think people on this forum are more techno savvy than most. Couple that with a system that takes advantage of their better-than-average home theaters and throw in a game library that doesn't make sacrifices (just minor quibles to be sure) and I think the situation is self explanitory.

Oh, and throw in Xbox Live and well, you know. I mean, after all, obviously we enjoy being online if we're on this forum. So the HTF family makes for a ripe Xbox market...

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
I own all three, but I usually have them hooked up on my bedroom TV. I only hook them up to my 57" RPTV if my friends are coming over for a death match or something. I still find myself playing PC games more than the consoles though. PC's will always have superior graphics due to their upgradeability.

I use them in this order:
1. PC
2. X-Box/GameCube
3. PlayStation 2

All of my old consoles are in a box in my closet. Well, all of them except for my Nintendo 64. I still play it every once in a while.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
I too have all 3.

Picked up a PS2, and GC on release, but held back on the Xbox, personally I found there to be a lot of lackluster games the first year. Sports and racing titles just don't cut it for me, as I am by no means a fan of either. But Splinter Cell sold me. Good thing they were tight lipped about it coming on other consoles or I may not have an Xbox right now. Have about 6 titles for the Box now, but have to admit that the PS2 is still my fav, mostly due to the RPGs. Not much of a FPS fan when it come to console (Halo and Metroid not included) Just hate using a joystick for a FPS. Leave the FPS's to the PC and I will be a happy camper.

JoseEduardo

Second Unit
I have Xbox (which I play the most) and recently got a Gamecube. I actually traded my PS2 for the Xbox and I couldn't be happier. I like the fact that all Xbox games have 5.1 Dolby and are 480p, some 720p and one 1080i.
I only have 480p games for the Gamecube as well, PS2 might have more games but they look like crap graphics wise.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
1) Just about everyone here runs their Xbox to their receiver, you're telling me you'd rather set you Xbox to play on TV and your receiver to pump out music? *gag*

2) PGR and THPS don't have crappy music, not by far. Your "hopefully this will never happen" argument is just speculation
I was just presenting two points a friend of mine made while we were talking about the X-Box. Truthfully, the feature is nice, and it's not like you'll run out of HD space loading it with MP3s, but I could easily find some way of listening to my own music without having to do this, even if it's a bit lower in quality as compared to loading the songs into the HD. And I'm not saying the games have crappy music and this is a way around that, just that if the game music was good enough, this feature wouldn't be used that often.

And I also look at it sort of like the dubs vs. subs issue with foreign films. Playing a game with your music versus the original music is like watching a foreign film with a dub in your language.

Damien

Supporting Actor
I was just presenting two points a friend of mine made while we were talking about the X-Box. Truthfully, the feature is nice, and it's not like you'll run out of HD space loading it with MP3s, but I could easily find some way of listening to my own music without having to do this, even if it's a bit lower in quality as compared to loading the songs into the HD. And I'm not saying the games have crappy music and this is a way around that, just that if the game music was good enough, this feature wouldn't be used that often.
I'll give you credit on some points, games like rallisport, deathrow, and others put a very limited number of tracks assuming people will use the custom soundtrack capability. To me it isn't a big deal.

but saying it doesn't matter is wrong. Hearing your favorite song can take the monotony out of some games, or give you a rush. Plus it sounds damn cool and you can make the atmosphere better by using songs that fit the theme of the level.

Thirdly, it isn't being used to it's potential at all. Supposidly, the new Raw game that gets delayed over and over again lets you customize wrestler intro music. Baseball games should have assignable tracks for each player's intro...it is unexcusable games like unreal championship don't use it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Damien-

For games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, I find it acceptable for this feature. THPS uses licensed music, so allowing you to add some of your own selections makes sense. But games that should have their own music (things along the lines of RPGs, RTS, and FPS) should not have this feature. If you add your own tracks, the game might improve a little, but it should be good enough without them; this should be used as a bonus feature. Yes, UT would be cool if you could add your own music to get you pumped, but it's lazy for them not to include music that does a similar thing.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
The big problem with in game music is that not everyone will enjoy it. It's hard to please every single person out there. Also, a type of music might energize someone but the same music might be calming to another.

The two games that I think have great in game music on the Xbox are Project Gotham Racing and Amped. Both have great variety and goes well with the game. However, I still ended up adding my own songs to the mix. There's several songs that I enjoy while racing so I have added them in.

I really enjoy dance music so I have about 4-5 CDs worth of Dance music currently on my Xbox. To those that do not have an Xbox and haven't experienced this first hand, it's really hard to visualize of how the game uses the music tracks. For example, in Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball, it plays your music in order. However, as the current song is ending, it blends in the next song producing a "DJ" style feeling and it's really quite well done. In MotoGP, when you crash the music stops as you are sliding. Once you get back on, the music starts off where it left off.

Having the music on the HD means the developers can play around with it a lot more. Me being able to change soundtracks in the game is a lot easier than having to switch CDs. I currently have a quite varied list of songs in my HD. I copied my Robert Miles CD for soothing music. Children goes quite well with MotoGP. :D

Let's face it, not everyone likes Heavy Metal music. What this feature also does is it allows people of other culture to add music from their own country.

Personally, my next system should have this future as I have been quite spoiled by it. :D

Brae

Supporting Actor
Romar, you are correct about how music can affect people differently, and not just in terms how they are affected while playing a gaming console. Certain music can have an aggressive affect on me when I'm driving my ride, but I am sure the music and ride may not produce the same results for someone else.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Yeah, that one got me too, Rick. I think he's trying to say that just as in dubbed movies, if you don't listen to the in-game music that the developers created, you aren't experiencing the "true intent" of the creators. Where that breaks down for me, though, is that while there are some games in which the music is an integral part (Halo and Jet Set Radio Future come to mind), there are also scores of others where the music is merely an accompaniment and not part of any story (extreme sports or racing games, for instance). Whereas in a movie, obviously the dialog is the story, and a dub does alter the original intent.

I would hate the thought of anyone playing Jet Set without grooving to Hideki Naganuma or the Latch Brothers, but the fact that I can replace the songs in Tony Hawk 4 (almost all of which I find excruciating) is a godsend. (Gatesend? :)) It sure beats turning the soundtrack off altogether or muting the game when those songs come on, as I had to do when playing Tony Hawk 2 on the PSX.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I would hate the thought of anyone playing Jet Set without grooving to Hideki Naganuma or the Latch Brothers, but the fact that I can replace the songs in Tony Hawk 4 (almost all of which I find excruciating) is a godsend
For some games, like THPS, I can see this feature being a welcome addition. In PGR, you're driving a car, so it kinda makes sense that whatever music you would put in your car is what the game should play. But for some games, especially ones where music is a big part, this feature is either pointless or can drastically alter the game.

And, as I see it, a game should not require you to do anything beyond just play it for it to be enjoyable. If the music sucks, then that's a bad quality of the game; you shouldn't have to upload your own music to fix that. The only games that would be exceptions are ones like Dance Dance Revolution or Time Crisis (which comes with the gun, actually).

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
And, as I see it, a game should not require you to do anything beyond just play it for it to be enjoyable. If the music sucks, then that's a bad quality of the game; you shouldn't have to upload your own music to fix that.
Agreed, but bad games happen, bad soundtracks happen, and the ability to rectify that is a huge bonus for Xbox owners. Perhaps in a perfect world we would love every song in every game and we would never tire of them, but in this imperfect world I'm happy I can listen to whatever I want in many Xbox games. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps in a perfect world we would love every song in every game and we would never tire of them, but in this imperfect world I'm happy I can listen to whatever I want in many Xbox games
That's the point. If the developers know you can fix their screw ups, then they get lazy. A game can now have generic and crappy music because you're able to replace it with your own. That's a bad thing.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Yes but you are just assuming again. Give us a few examples of games that suffer from this...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Scott L-

I don't have an X-Box, so I can't offer any examples of games that suffer from this. More than anything, I fear this feature my lead some smaller games to have crappier soundtracks in the future because the developers know that individuals can load up whatever songs they want to the console.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks