What's new

Xbox (1 Viewer)

ChrisMcK

Stunt Coordinator
I notice a lot of people on this Forum use Xbox. Is there a reason for that? I have a PS2 and wouldn't trade it for an Xbox - just my opinion

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
It just depends on what games you want to play.

I have all three, and am very happy with that.

It just depends on the games you want.

Glen

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I think you'll find that there are a lot of multi-console people here. I have an Xbox and Gamecube, and have been getting a lot of use out of both lately. No real interest in a Ps2 (final fantasy had me tempted, but it wasn't quite enough) yet, but we'll see what happens.

As for the popularity of the Box-maybe Live has something to do with it? There are a lot of subscribers on this forum, and it's still sort of the new thing right now.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Most people here have PS2, but most of the threads on here focus on the X-Box because it's just now getting a lot of must-have games and X-Box Live.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Because people like 5.1 sound and don't care about the game itself ;). Kidding, kidding, I swear! :D

I suspect it is, as noted by others, the fact that it has X-Box Live so there is much more discussion about on-line gaming and such topics. The software has been picking up quite a bit lately as well.

I'd wager more of the people on the forum are multi-console users than anything else. Right now I just have my Cube, but I would like to branch out into a Box once I actually graduate.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Yeah, I think it's manly due to the capabilities of the Xbox. You have Xbox Live which is an incredible online service and the Xbox is the one console that caters to home theater type people with 5.1 sound in pretty much every game as well as the best HDTV support of the 3 main consoles. Personally, I have all 3 consoles but play Xbox the most due to the features mentioned and the fact that it has more games that I enjoy over the other 2.

It's not that the other systems don't have good games, it's that I feel the Xbox does them better. Of course the PS2 has Vice City, which I think is the best game right now on any system, as well as a slew of RPGs. And with the Gamecube you can always count on first rate Nintendo titles like Mario and Metroid.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I've got all 3. Got my PS2 11/01, my Cube 5/02, and my XBox 2/03. I got them at those times because it was around then that some must have titles for me were released. I love them all but definitely use the PS2 the least and the Cube and XBox alot more often.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I also have all 3 consoles and my X-box is currently the one I use the least. I don't believe in "better" ports -- with a few notable exceptions, ports are usually worse on non-native systems.

However, keep in mind that I don't have access to broadband, which negates X-box Live. I would probably use the console more often if I had access to online play.

The best games on any system are usually the ones that take advantage of its capabilities (Spliter Cell, Panzer Dragoon Orta, or Halo for example).

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
I notice a lot of people on this Forum use Xbox. Is there a reason for that?
5.1 sound is the biggest reason, I think.

Ripping your own soundtracks is great for racing games and the like.

Better graphic capabilities is yet another reason that I own and cherish my Xbox.

Xbox LIVE is the kicker.

I had a PS2, got rid of it when I realized that an Xbox and a Gamecube served my needs very well. The PS2 has a bigger software library than both my consoles combined, but I dont even have enough time to play and finish the games I have purchased for the other two systems.

Oscar Saenz

Stunt Coordinator
I also own all three current systems as well as the DC. Like others have said, the XBL feature is new which is why you are probably noticing an increase in XBox threads.

Currently, I play my Xbox the most with the GCN coming a close second. This will change once PSO is released for the XBox. I actually play my DC more than my PS2. Go figure!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Another multi-console owner. I own all three current next-gen console systems, along with the Dreamcast and several other consoles from years ago (around 10-12 all together). I also spend a good bit of time PC gaming as well. Which one of these platforms I play depends on what game/games I feel like playing. In the month of January my game time consisted mainly of Panzer Dragoon Orta and little else, these days I'm taking a break and getting some other games in (though no doibt i will be playing more Orta very soon). Recently I've been spending time with Legend of Zelda OOT Bonus disc, Dark Cloud 2, some Everquest Online Adventures, and replaying Deus Ex on the PC as recent screens and info on its sequel got me in the mood.

I try to jump on Xbox Live whenever possible for our group play sessions but my late night time has been limited recently (due to change in work schedules and other things). A few weeks back I was spending time with Undying on the PC as well as some party fun with Super Monkey Ball (Monkey Target never gets old) and still trying to beat level 4 in Ikaruga on the DC. My preference as to which platform I play changes on an almost daily basis. They all get thier playtime but in the end the game that I most feel like booting up dictates what console I play.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I have all three systems (I also have a DC and GBA) and I go where the games take me. I get a lot of use out of my GCN due to Metroid and Xbox is simply awesome with Orta and XBL...that's just the way it is.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I picked the box as my console because I wanted to play Halo, it came with the most bells and whistles (5.1 sound, hard drive, etc) and the DVD player was good enough to serve as my primary player. If I were making the decision today I'd still stick with the box but i'd like to play GTA.

AaronJB

Second Unit
I enjoy XBOX's 5.1 audio capabilities. Turning on EX decoding on my sound system allows a perfect 360 degree surround experience for games like "Halo".

Brae

Supporting Actor
Glen, I can see the possabilities for the X-Box platform being a lot more than just a gaming console. Add a Faroudja DCDI deinterlacing chipset, to compliment the ability to scale to some basic resolution, make progressive output for all signaling (i.e. for video, too), add a VGA/DVI port (or at least offer a cable adapter with these) and a new dashboard (a la Evox) for handling network multimedia (include the ability to attach or mount networked DVD drives) including streaming and this thing takes on a whole-entertainment network appliance role.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Brae- looks like a project! ;) But does that mod void any XBL use or did they find a way around it now? And just out of curiosity what size HD is that and how many emu games did you fit on it?

Brae

Supporting Actor
Scott, there is a simle way to disable the MOD, whereby restoring the X-Box to its original form. A friend is trying to fabricate a simple switch that he can mount to the case, but there are several conductors whose paths need to be interrupted.

Aaron, I will agree with you regarding the 5.1 presentation in Halo. Games have come along way since the Atari 2600. I've used the optical TOSLINK on the HD adapter (along with the component video).

My only complaint is that the game only does 480i/9, I think. I am not really sure about this, but my 65" RPTV only does 480i/p and 1080i. So much for the 2 year old Mits.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I've had an Xbox since last February and I recently purchased a Gamecube with Metroid (although I've been too busy to really sit down with it yet). My best friend has had a PS2 for a few years now, and I couldn't imagine leaving my 'box for a PS2 for my gaming needs. I love the 5.1 surround sound, better graphics, better games (at least in my opinion), and most of all- the internal hard drive. Playing games like Project Gotham Racing or Tony Hawk are ten times more enjoyable to me when I can rip my own music tracks instead of being limited to the game soundtrack. Furthermore, I never have to worry about running out of memory for saving games. For example, I just picked up NBA 2K3 for the 'Cube and noticed that it takes up about 20% of my 251 memory card. Those cards are twenty bucks a pop, and if the Gamecube was my primary system, I'd have to buy more of them. That isn't a problem with the Xbox. Furthermore, I have the ability to add a 120 Gigabyte hard drive to store more files and expand the capabilities of the system as well.

To be honest, there are only a small handful of games on the PS2 that I'd like to play: The Getaway, Devil May Cry (original), and Socom. Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City are and will be available on the PC in May, so I don't need a PS2 for those.

In short, I feel like the PS2 is too outdated (and overrated) and is built on inferior technology to warrant a purchase.

Just my three cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks