What's new

Xbox wireless question (1 Viewer)

Bruce Berti

Stunt Coordinator
Trying to set up a wireless network for xbox live and it seems the Linksys setup is popular. My question is which wireless card do you use for your network? Is it the WMP11 along with the router and bridge?

Oscar Saenz

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce, I'm not sure what you mean by a wireless card but I just set up my wireless network last weekend. All I used was an Ethernet Bridge (Linksys WET11) and a Linksys wireless router (I think they call it a WAP - wireless access point).

I have all my consoles connected to a Netgear switcher. I then connect the switcher to the WET11 and viola! I can even be online at the same time with multiple consoles.

Bruce Berti

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, excuse my pc ignorance. I assumed that if you were setting up a wireless router, you would need a wireless network card in your pc.

Oscar Saenz

Stunt Coordinator
Oh I see - nah, since my PC is next to my router, I just connected a regular cat5 cable from my PC's network card to the back of the wireless router.

JayV

Supporting Actor
I just helped out a friend with with her home's network, and I am very happy with the Linksys Powerline Ethernet bridges (you need a minimum of two, though, at $99 each).

I haven't tested it with Xbox Live yet, so I'll do that and report back if anyone is interested.

As an aside, I had a heck of a time getting decent wireless coverage out of Linksys wireless routers, but a Netgear unit is working amazingly well.

-j

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
To get the PC Wireless (if you want it) you'd need a Wireless network card, ethernet bridge or USB adapter. If you go for a card, make sure you get everything you need. I know Linksys had a solution that was simply a PCI card port to plug in a seperatly sold wireless PCMCIA card.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I got the PC card you listed Bruce.
I hooked the wireless router and my modem up near my xbox and use it to send the signal to my pc. This is because the PCI card is about 80bucks canadian cheaper than a bridge. Works for me great.

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
I use a similar setup to Mark's. The XBox is on a wired network behind the Linksys Wireless Router, and then I use a Linksys USB 802.11 adapter to have my computer get on the network. Works great and the USB adapter is $80 cheaper than the WET11. I'm surprised more people don't mention this type of setup.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I also just went with the Wireless Router approach... But I wired my home pc and the XBOX with CAT5.... I saw no real advantage of doing wireless to my PC, being it's 3 feet away from the router, and the xbox, I ran cable with no problem... Cost me 15 bucks for the CAT5 compared to the 90-100 for the bridge... Now my Laptop is a diff story. That has a wireless card it it!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks