Xbox wireless gaming question

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gary Seven, May 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Hello All,

I currently have two Xbox's... one in the living room and one in the bedroom. The one in the living room is hooked up to xbox live, using a linksys WET adapter. I was thinking of getting the wireless xbox adapter for the bedroom. What I wanted to know if anybody had used this adapter for system link gaming as well as live. Does it support system link? If so, then this would be a purchase for me (which means I would buy two, replacing the WET adapter). Anybody have experience with this?

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I'm not well versed in networking and wireless but it seems to me that the System Link connection required a different type of LAN cable (twisted pair or somesuch). A wireless rig may not allow for that type of "communication". Don't understand why SL connections require that different configuration.

3. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

It only required a different (crossover) cable if you were connecting the two boxes together. If they were both connected to a router or hub, you would use a regular cable. In other words, it should work fine. SL and Live merely define the software protocols that they use. The network connection is the same.

Hope I didn't confuse the issue...

4. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Thanks both for responding. I thought it should work but didn't want to put out the cash if it didn't. I guess I'll give it a go. Thanks again.

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I tried playing Halo with a friend who was using the MN-740 upstairs and I was plugged straight to the hub downstairs. Horrible lag. We didn't bother troubleshooting the problem and just set up everything downstairs. FWIW.