XBox w/progressive scan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cory R. B., Mar 24, 2002.

1. Cory R. B.

Cory R. B. Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to see what is better about progressive by switching from progressive to non-progressive while playing my Xbox games (playing, changing the XBox menu, then playing again). I know the technical reasons why progressive is better, but I don't see any difference. What should I look for?

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Well, first, are you doing this on a digital TV with the HD pack from MS?

C. Ryan

3. Cory R. B.

Yes, Monster component cables, XBox is in 480p mode, TV is set to progressive scan mode.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

There are differences. I find them rather subtle, however. I've often said I think this forum (by its very nature) over plays the improvement 480p makes in games.

Still, it is an improvement and you won't find me selecting 480i on purpopse.

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The difference depends largely on the television - two big factors are the size of the set and the quality of the internal line doubler. On our Toshiba 50 inch, the difference is subtle (but an improvement). On our Mitsubishi 55 inch, the difference is like night and day, and is a vast improvement.
    A TV Guide description of the difference would be that progressive scan yields a more detailed picture, and you will see less "jaggies".
    -Dave

6. Cory R. B.

Why would the internal line doubler affect a progressive scan? 480p already shows all the lines, why would it strip away half the lines and then use the doubler?

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The quality of the internal line doubler will affect how good the 480i image looks. If it does a helluva job, the difference between 480i & 480p won't be as drastic. If the tv has a poor doubler, then the 480i image won't look as good, and the 480p will look a whole lot better.

-Dave

8. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Cory, I think the answer to your second question is that a progressive signal bypasses your set's internal line doubler. An interlaced signal will be processed by your set's line doubler. So if you have a high-quality line doubler in your TV, you won't see a drastic difference between progressive and interlaced. But if your line doubler in your TV is not as good, then bypassing it with a progressively-scanned image will yield a much greater improvement.

And as an earlier poster said, one of the ways to check is to look at moving diagonal lines or curves for jagged edges. Progressive scanning should smooth out most (but not all) of the jaggedness. For instance, if you have Halo, a lot of the cut-scenes in that game happen indoors in a ship or a structure, and there are lots of diagonal lines in them. Look at the line of a doorway or a bulkhead as the "camera" pans, and you should see some jagged edges. If your TV set's internal line doubler isn't as good (or if you are on a smaller screen), the jaggies will be much more smoothed out with a progressive signal.

Hope that helps!