What's new

XBOX vs PS2 vs Gamecube (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
XBOX vs PS2 vs Gamecube

I am thinking of getting one of these for my family, We will be playing on a large screen with a dolby 5.1 surround setup (and a very MANLY 15" Velodyne Subwoofer!!)

I am interested in the audio, mainly, that sounds come from behind as well as in front and center. and BOOM!
Do all of these units offere games with surround sound?

If someone is behind me shooting, I want to hear it from the rear speakers. I don't want just left/right seperation.

Also, I have a 6yr old and a 4 yr old. If they are lucky I will let them play too.

First person shooters are fun, but I also like strategy games.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
If on the audio side of games, I believe Xbox has the edge. Just playing HALO will really get u going!

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
There are only a million threads already talking about the differences between all the consoles...do we really need to have a new one every week?

Not meaning to be cruel, but doing a simple search on the video game hardware forum with the phrase "xbox gamecube ps2" turns up 6 threads with the subject specifically talking about comparisons on the first page alone.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I am interested in the audio, mainly, that sounds come from behind as well as in front and center. and BOOM!
Believe me, if you want AUDIO... get the XBOX! Don't take any substitute... the Dolby Digital 5.1 that this system produces in-game is BAR NONE the best in the video game business. Put in Jet Set Radio Future (which is currently FREE with XBOX) or Halo and you will see what I mean :)

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
There are only a million threads already talking about the differences between all the consoles...do we really need to have a new one every week?
I agree as well. Nothing personal, but this topic has been covered again and again. Each aspect of each console has been covered in the hardware thread from best HDTV console to best console for a child under the age of 10 with a chronic bed wetting problem(ok that's a bit much but you can understand).

I hope you get the best console, but please just do a search through the archives before you post a question that has been asked many times before.

Glen

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Throw in another vote for XBOX audio superiority from me. Both the XBOX and PS2 make use of optical outputs for audio, but only the XBOX makes use true discrete surround sound for most games. How well the surround channels are utilized seems to vary quite a bit from game to game, but the sounds/music seem better (on average) with the XBOX, IMO.

There are some PS2 games that make use of DTS via software in the game, but they are few. I think some PS2 games also make use of Dolby Pro Logic II.

The Gamecube does not have any digital audio output, so most of it's games are in stereo with many of the major titles using Dolby Pro Logic II (which is pretty good in some cases).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Graphically and aurally, the X-Box is the best.

But if you want game selection, go for the PS2.

But if you want AAA quality first-party games, go for the GameCube.

From what you've said, I'd recommend an X-Box.

Tino D'Voe

Agent
I'll throw one in for the gamecube. Although fewer games than the competition, the ones they have now are pretty damn sweet. And there's even more to come. Another thing I love about it is the Wavebird, and the fact that I can throw everything in my backpack and it even has a handle!!

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I own all three systems and have to vote for the 'cube. The sound on the XBox is better, but the Pro Logic II sacrifice is worth it for the quality of games. You will love Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness (for both sound and gameplay), and your kids will love games like Super Mario Sunshine and Super Monkey Ball (and you will, too). Of course, if you need a DVD player, get the XBox, but for family, the 'cube can't be beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks