What's new

Xbox vs PS2 - the online battle! (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Ryan-

I agree that a lot of people who aren't hardcore gamers probably haven't heard of this, but there are probably a few people who own X-Boxes and have the internet who stumbled apon this. Other than that, there are the harcore MS fanboys who will use these petty reasons to make them think their console is the best (instead of the games being the reason).

Regardless of the size or scope of this marketing strategy, I still find it childish and stupid. Nintendo and Sony don't need to do this, so why does MS?

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
As for whether Microsoft's "funny" marketing is intended for hardcore gamers or the general public, the pre-launch Xbox flyer that I got at Wal-Mart was filled with the same mocking attitude (and some of those jibes did make me laugh).

Morgan, are you telling me that some obscure marketing ploy has really gotten you this upset? It's really hard to believe you don't have ulterior motives where your attitude about this is concerned. And when I said it was as sure as death and taxes that you would have something negative to say concerning MS in this thread, I didn't mean to imply that you said anything negative about the xbox directly. But it seems everytime there is an xbox thread, you always chime in with something negative to say. And considering you don't even own an xbox, this just smacks of anti-xbox fanboy bias on your part. And no matter what kind of spin you attempt to put on it, there are countless threads that back up what I say.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
And no matter what kind of spin you attempt to put on it, there are countless threads that back up what I say
I know, but for this one thing MS did, there are plenty of interviews, flyers, and other things MS has done that get the same point across. It's their ad campaign, and I think it's really childish.

Ask anyone who came to the Scooterpalooza 2K2 party last July. If they saw us playing the 2 X-Boxes with 7 people (Halo, yeah baby!) then they'll vouch for how into the game I was. That was the last straw for me in terms of wanting an X-Box.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
And even if this method of marketing has been used before, that doesn't make it any less stupid and childish.
But.....it works. I agree that the marketing campaign is pretty childish, but so are video games in general (as hard as that is to hear, fellas, I'm sorry). I know that we are all about the same age (I'm 25 and earned a marketing/finance degree, btw) and I think we can all admit that most people our age that play video games will find this amusing.

It's Microsoft's way of saying, "We're the badass American company that has an attitude; Sony and Nintendo are for casual gamers and little kids" (though the GameCube is my favorite system). Even if they are going after casual gamers, MS wants them to feel like they are buying a high-tech, top-of-the-line, serious system with the XBox. It's the same reason people buy Bose systems at high prices--they feel like they are getting the absolute best system even without checking out other setups that cost the same (that's another issue, but a very good parallel). If a potential customer feels like they're going to be high-end by purchasing an XBox, they're likely to buy the product. MS's target market watches wrestling and buys the hell out of GTA3 VC. MS doesn't have a franchise like GTA, so their advertising has to try to fill the void.

Remember, MS is not trying to appeal to themselves, but to their market. And, like it or not, their target market responds to campaigns like this (ask WWF, er, WWE).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
MS's target market watches wrestling and buys the hell out of GTA3 VC. MS doesn't have a franchise like GTA, so their advertising has to try to fill the void
MS is trying to hit the hardcore audience and the casual gamers at the same time. I have nothing wrong with that, but Sony is able to hit the same market without using childish marketing techniques.

Kami

Screenwriter
Childish? Maybe so, but it made me laugh. I like to laugh. No wonder it works.
In my opinion any marketing ploy or campaign that can spark off debates like this is a good one. :)

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Holy cow! I actually thought about this thread when I read that. Funny stuff. I took the quiz: not a fanboy.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
JoshF-

I checked a second ago and found it. A very interesting read.

Do you plan on writing for EGM in the future?

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Morgan: Yes, I plan to write for them in the future. They want me to, I just have a lot of other projects going on right now.

Rob: Yes, I study Goju Ryu. I'm a green belt in Shorei Kan. Do you study?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Josh, great read! :emoji_thumbsup: Very funny stuff!! I took the quiz, too: not a fanboy. Although, for a brief moment, when I thought you might be taking a cheap shot at my beloved ColecoVision (the greatest game console of all time!), I almost lost it for a second!!:D
Gary

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Josh, I read it. Great stuff, I just wish they gave you more room. :emoji_thumbsup: The guy in the pic looks like the CBG in my sig.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
More room would have been nice - the original article was much longer. But - hey - that's part of writing for magazines, no?

I love what they did with the fanboy test, so it all works out (except for the fact that they spelled my name wrong on the contributors' page!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks