What's new

Xbox vs PS2 - the online battle! (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I got one of these for Christmas and here's a quote from the documentation...
The Network Adaptor easily connects to the PlayStation®2 system by lining up the Network Adaptor connectors to the Expansion Bay located at the rear of the PlayStation®2 system. Gently tighten the mounting screws using a coin, and you’re on your way!
Now, if I only had a nickel for every time I heard that one! :D
Gary

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
LMAO!! Thats plain freakin sad. M$FT took the time to type that!?! Im guessing they think most gamers arent very technically smart, what morons. Dissin the best system(judgement based on games) to date is not something good, but it just proves how much they want to monopolize the gaming market as well as the software market. O well, good laf.

l8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Funny how they can just about say anything about a competitor. It really is sad that MS would resort to this...

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Most of thw points were right on the mark, IMO. Besides, it reminds me of the good old Sega vs. Nintendo ads.

-Dave

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I'm getting tired of Microsoft's smarmy PS2-bashing as a marketing tactic. Isn't it the mark of the also-ran to ridicule the competition instead of hyping their own accomplishments? I think they'll end up alienating more people than they attract, particularly people like me who currently have dial-up service. How does not having access to broadband (which is a majority of computer users and, I imagine, gamers) target me for ridicule? And I don't care how much the videogame community skews male, a statement like "I'm kinda moody. Like a girl." is only going to hurt your company image.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Isn't it the mark of the also-ran to ridicule the competition instead of hyping their own accomplishments?
Give it some time, Allen. I just got the XBox for Christmas and now have all 3 systems. Without Live, the Gamecube is my favorite system. But with Live, the XBox is sooooooo much more fun than anything else. Judging by their growing sales numbers, better bundling jobs, and good ol' fashion sense of American business competition, Nintendo and Sony need to be on the lookout.

As for the article, it's just funny, you have to admit. It targets Microsoft's market perfectly.

Damien

Supporting Actor
i wonder how long this was up? I was browsing on that site to see compatible routers and ran into that, that is a very feeble attempt at being funny, with the writing quality of a 8 year old kid. They insulted every aspect of PS2 online, most which didn't make sense and they should promptly remove ito prevent humiliation. Xbox Live is the best, but from what I've heard(or just read the xbox live parts of ign's reviews) none of the games availible are at all perfect running, making them look hypocritical. I'm fourtunate enough to be in a situation to get bb, if I was stuck with dial-up I'd sell the thing after reading that.

grammatical errors due to IE's stupid write over bug.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I do have an Xbox (plus the PS2, GameCube and Dreamcast). I think it's a great system and I'm sure Microsoft's Live service is the superior one. For any number of reasons I would love to have broadband access, but it's just not available in my area. For that I deserve to be mocked? Pitied, yes, but not made fun of. And the article isn't that funny due to its fanboy attitude. Xbox has a lot of things in its favor, it should talk about those, rather than ridiculing the competition and those who own their systems.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Do you enjoy using coins to install hardware peripherals?
and exactly what is wrong with using a coin to screw something in? everyone has them lying around, and its not like you have to install it and uninstall it repeatedly. just as easy as a screwdriver, isnt it? sounds like a childish way to try to gain some ground on ps2. want to do it the right way? gain ground with your GAMES.

CJ

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
This is another example of MS trying to appeal to it's target crowd: nongamers. They don't want the hardcore fans, they want to people who are willing to put cash into the latest "cool" thing and will get into gaming because of it. The people who are gamers already know that the X-Box is in a distant 2nd or 3rd and is struggling a little to gain ground outside the US (though to a lesser degree in Europe), so that's their target audience.

By making their console look "cool," they hope to make money. It's childish and stupid.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I don't intend to do any online gaming for the forseeable future, but I think that PS2 has the peripheral that is most beneficial to all its customers. One network adapter allows either modem or broadband connections. With GameCube, you have to buy one or the other; Xbox only offers broadband access. I don't really see the benefit of not having to install something I can't even use. The best online console offering was probably the Dreamcast's built-in 56k modem (this was at a time when most PCs only had 28k's). I think Microsoft is mainly going after those people who have yet to buy any system. Those who do buy it will get a great console. Too bad their marketing is creating a generation of ill-mannered fanboyz in the process.

liana

Agent
haha that made me chuckle.

i still need to buy an x box. theyre finally putting out games im interested in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks