XBox vs. PS2 on Technical merits

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Sly, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Tim Sly

Tim Sly Stunt Coordinator

I am new to the game console discussion and am leaning toward buying an Xbox. How do the two compare technically? Do they both support 480p games and future 1080i games? Both have DD 5.1 sound? I know xbox claims to have the first hard drive. Of course PS2 is a proven sytem with a huge following.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

DD5.1 Sound

X-Box= real-time

PS2= during cutscenes, not real-time

480p

X-Box= real-time

PS2= nope

There are better ways to compare them (I don't know any) but it should be mentioned that the PS2 has a crapload of excellent games, so buying it would be like instant satisfaction, whereas the X-Box has a few good games now, a bunch planned for release, and would be considered as a great investment.

If you want to buy on technical merits alone, X-Box.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Doesnt PS2 have a couple EA titles with DTS Real-time support?

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Yup, what Morgan said. Also, XBOX has 1080i & 720p capability, although only 2 1080i game have been announced so far.

-Dave

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Yea there are a couple of DTS releases from EA, but people say they don't sound as good as the DD tracks on Xbox games. Rent SSX Tricky for both systems and see for yourself.

6. Tim Sly

Tim Sly Stunt Coordinator

Which were announced for 1080i?

7. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

I hadn't heard of a 2nd game being announced with 1080i, and I also doubt that Test Drive will come with it.

8. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Sega GT2002 & Test Drive.

-Dave

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Will I need a HD set top box for my HDTV to get 1080i/720p? If so, which one? (I'm a complete newbie to set top boxes). Where can I buy them?

10. Eric S M

Eric S M Agent

Ike,

You won't need a STB. You'll just need to plug in your XBOX with component cables to an HDTV capable of 1080i. Most of the HDTVs out today support that (a few support 720p natively, but not many).

Dave F,

Cool info about the 1080i games. Where did you see that? I'd buy one just to check it out.

-Eric

11. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

In my manual for my TV, it says "Full 1080i HDTV Capable with Set-Top Box." What's that mean?

12. Eric S M

Eric S M Agent

Ike,

The TV is capable of displaying 1080i if it is presented with a signal of that resolution at its inputs. They're probably assuming that only a set-top box is capable of outputing a 1080i signal. Given that the TV is 1080i capable, any device capable of outputing a 1080i signal whether it be a STB for satellite and OTA TV reception or an XBOX or (dare we dream, a DVD player in the future) will result in your TV displaying a 1080i picture.

-Eric

13. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Isn't Sega GT 2002 supposed to be released this March? I assume that being a 1080i game, it must also support widescreen.
    Oh no... my HD geometry will need to be tweeked now [​IMG]

14. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Wait, you have to have a 16x9 to do 1080i, or is 1080i only anamorphic (not a big deal, because I can un-squeeze it, but just curious)

15. David__Anthony

David__Anthony Auditioning

I think the dts games for the ps2 are only in cut scenes not during gameplay.

16. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Here is an excellent article which goes over exactly waht you want:
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1561
    Its very well written and provides an overload of info.
    As Morgan said though if you are looking for instant gratification and a boatload of quality titles (noew and in the future) go for the PS2. If your looking for the best technical machine for gaming/HT the X-box is a great investment with a very bright future also.
    PS. David those games are DTS real time, not only in cut scenes but during gameplay.

17. Michael Hudson

Michael Hudson Stunt Coordinator

No both SSX Tricky and NHL2002 are both real time DTS. I will agree that both Max Payne and Halo sound a lot better on my Xbox than the DTS stuff on my PS2. They are both good systems.

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The X-Box might have two games with 1080i, but they are both racing games. If they were making Halo with 1080i I would get excited, but racing games aren't exactly the ones to show off graphical prowess, such as they are doing.

19. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

On the contrary... Racing games tend to be some of the most visually appealing games for consoles (GT3, PGR, Test Drive Le Mans).

20. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Does anyone have any links concerning the announcement of 1080i games? I'm not fond of racing games as well but would buy one just to check out HD gaming. I have seen screenshots of both and they do look nice but there wasn't any info on video modes.