What's new

Xbox/UltimateTV Hybrid Microsoft's Xbox losses, and more (1 Viewer)

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
"Microsoft takes heavy losses on the Xbox
Beating Sony and Nintendo in the gaming console market is apparently worth billions to the software giant.
By Dean Takahashi
June 24, 2002
Microsoft executives are predicting heavy losses related to the Xbox video game console, but the company is prepared to keep supporting its central offensive against Sony and Nintendo by launching a version with new features next year.
Microsoft expects to lose $750 million in the current fiscal year ending June 30 and another $1.1 billion in the next fiscal year, according to a source familiar with the matter. David Hufford, a Microsoft spokesman, declined comment on the financials.
Meanwhile, the Xbox team has been working for about nine months on a machine that combines the features of the Xbox with UltimateTV, a set-top box that features digital video recording. Mr. Hufford said, "Regarding a hybrid box, we are moving full steam ahead with Xbox in its current state while staying deadly focused on games. Of course we have engineers looking at dozens of possibilities for the future of the console."
While Microsoft does not break out the loss figures for the Xbox from the rest of its operating results, it has said it expects to sell 3.5 million to 4 million units by June 30, and 9 million to 11 million by June 30, 2003. It has also said about three games are selling for every box sold.
The losses suggest that it will be difficult for Microsoft to make a profit on the division for some time unless it starts selling a much larger number of games and begins reaping profits from the upcoming launch of Xbox Live, its online gaming service.
The losses aren't unexpected, but they do show that Microsoft expects to lose more money the more machines it sells. When Bill Gates approved the Xbox in the fall of 1999, he was told that the console could lose $900 million over eight years and that if Sony cut its prices aggressively, then Microsoft could lose $3.3 billion. After much hand-wringing, Mr. Gates approved the box because he felt Microsoft needed to face the threat of the PlayStation 2 and hook gamers on Microsoft products.
"There is a debate going on if it is better for Microsoft to lose more money and get an installed base, or underperform in unit sales and lose less money," said John Taylor, an analyst at Arcadia Investment in Portland, Oregon. "My sense in strategic sales is it is more important to get an installed base."
Microsoft can absorb the Xbox losses. The company has an estimated $42 billion in cash reserves and, for the year ending June 30, it is expected to report a net profit of about $10 billion and revenues of $28.25 billion.
Full Article here

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm an Xbox owner and supporter, but a second version of the console does not sound like a winning strategy to me.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I don't know. If they were to sell both the XBOX and an XBOX Deluxe it might be ok. Many early adopter types might go for a deluxe box. It sounds interesting if they can get it all worked out.

What is really needed is a larger software selection with a better multi tiered software price structure. There needs to be more games at $30 & $40. There just needs to be more software period. Hopefully after all the expected titles hit later this year it will help.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I think what Microsoft needs to realize is that it's killer software sells consoles not superior technology. I'm thinking this is a bad move and will sell pretty poorly.

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
There is a good rebuttal on this article at the Beyond 3D Console forums. It makes this article look poorly written and researched.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
URL for that article?

Agreed that MS needs to learn that killer software sells consoles. Sega cannot continue to save their ass

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Course, you heard only "woo hoo" comments when Nintendo and Panasonic teamed up to make a hybrid Gamecube/DVD player. But since that's only in Japan, and done by Japanese, it won't get as much flak as something like this.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
The other thing about the Nintendo/Panasonic thing, is that it was only allowing the Cube to do what the PS2 and XBox could in terms of DVD playback. Many see the cubes lack of DVD video playback as a problem(I'm of mixed mind on it). However, this is clearly trying to do something that a console has never really done. Combining an XBox with an PVR device could be an interesting way to help PVR's grow, but they are currentlly a struggling market, as is the XBox. In my mind, combining two poorly selling product just creates one horribly selling product. I know this isn't a great example but think about it this way. If Sega has combined the 32X and the Sega CD into one unit somehow, would it have sold any better? My guess is that it would have sold worse. However, I'm interested in this and I'm curious to see where Microsoft is heading. Now they'll be telling us what TV shows to watch as well as what software to use ;)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Interesting how Red Herring turns a supposition into a confirmation. Got 'em a lot of press though. Note how they mention the addition of new features and hardware in the same breath as a Robbie Bach comment in order to try give the impression that the info comes from him.

-Dave

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Why doesn't MS just make the X-Box 2 what the hybrid is going to be? This would save them some development costs, and people aren't going to buy two of the same thing (even if its not the same, people will see it like that).

Either way, huge losses and developing games for a competitor's console sounds awfully familiar *cough* Sega *cough*

Andre F

Screenwriter
Nintendoites tend to be blindly loyal, of course they're woo-hooing
I hate to bring it up but, I thought this was a thread about Xbox, not about Nintendo. I admit to being a Nintedo fan so I guess that makes me blindly loyal...you didn't see me "woo-hooing" about the Panasonic/Cube player.

Anyway, I think Microsoft has to bring more titles like Toejam and Earl 3 out. Between that and Halo I'm just about ready to get on the Xbox express. That news about the Deluxe Xbox is kind troubling though...
-Andre F

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Microsoft should strongly study Sega's history before attempting Xbox Deluxe. Clearly they are foreigners to this business. They should just buy Nintendo and end their worries. :)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Why doesn't MS just make the X-Box 2 what the hybrid is going to be?
I bet this is exactly what will happen. Sounds like pretty little developement time for something he claims might be out next year. Especially when they are concentrating on 1) Getting Xbox established, 2) Launching Xbox online, 3) Researching the next generation console.

BTW: I don't know much (read: anything) about the prices of console manufacturing. Is a $30 part considered expensive? He mentions the expensive hard drive, but 8gb drives are $30, and it's not like it's a top o' the line drive.

-Dave

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If Sega has combined the 32X and the Sega CD into one unit somehow, would it have sold any better?
They were going to. The project was cancelled after 32x started bombing tho.

Morgan, MS is not making games for other consoles like Sega did. You seem to forget how much MS can lose and not miss it. They have no interest in the handheld market (at least for now), therefore are welcoming the extra cash

I wish Sega had teamed with another console, and it's true that the hard drive is the thing that will stop price drops from happening w/o heavy losses (I believe that they're losing $125/unit)

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
They were going to. The project was cancelled after 32x started bombing tho.
The project in question (Neptune) was going to be a combo 32X/Genesis, not a combo Genesis/32X/Sega CD. They DID release a combo Genesis/Sega CD called the CDX (I think it had a different name in Japan and Europe); perversely they emphasized its potential use as a portable CD player even though the thing was waaay too big for any sane person to attempt lugging it around. It was additionally handicapped by a $300 price tag and the fact that the Sega CD was well on its way out by the time it came out.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
MS doesn't have interest in the handheld market, but if someone buys a GBA game, that money could have been a good part of an X-Box game.

GBA is owned by Nintendo, and Nintendo makes the GameCube. Nintendo is making ways for the GBA and GameCube to connect. So when games for the GBA and GCN are being made to enhance eachother, those GBA sales will start to add up and help the GCN. Plus, all GBA sales benefit MS's competitor.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Plus, all GBA sales benefit MS's competitor.
I'd guess that regardless of how Nintendon's products sell, MS doesn't exactly view Nintendo as a serious competitor. The companys' goals seem very different. Nintendo is basically a toy company that doesn't have any apparent ambitions except to keep selling games. Microsoft and Sony don't really care about video games in and of themselves; they want to "take over your living room" and view video game consoles as a means to that end. Unless Nintendo announces that they like the idea of this video game/dvd/replay tv/internet/all-in-one that MS and Sony each are plotting and researching for the long-term (and who knows, as technology progresses maybe some other conglomerates will want to get in on the action), MS will probably be content to let Nintendo do their thing while concentrating on Sony as a more direct threat (and vice versa - I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Sony basically came out and said they didn't care what Nintendo did and considered MS to be their main competition).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, you do realize that Mircosoft makes products for the Mac, right? They just go where the market is.

Besides, it's good long-term planning. It gets their product visible to people who, right now, wouldn't think of buying an Xbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks