What's new

XBox - Two Towers: Too Dark? (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I recently got EA's The Two Towers for my XBox, and I'm wondering if anyone else feels that this game is too dark (even while playing in a dark room) on a calibrated set.

I've calibrated my set using AVIA, and while DVD's, TV, and most games are alright, this game is Really Dark™.

It's not so bad that I can't play it, but if I tried to play in a well-lit room, it would be impossible.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
While I don't have this particular game I have found with all Xbox games I have to kick up the brightness about 10 notches on my Toshoba RPTV. It too has been calibrated using Avia. Didn't have to do that with my PS2 when I owned one.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Chris i noticed this as well. I dont know if thats the way the game is meant to be but i had to adjust my screen a bit so i can see during the Moria Battle

capt

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I only noticed the Helm's Deep levels to be dark. I could barely see the ladders I was supposed to kick over. Other than that everything seemed fine including Moria.

I'm playing on a VE calibrated NEC lt150.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Chris, those are my sentiments exactly. An otherwise enjoyable game though.
-Dave

Dan B

Screenwriter
I've found this to be the case with several Xbox games also. I don't really understand it...don't people test these things? A brightness slider is also something that can't be that hard to add to a game's setup options. My TV is calibrated properly and I shouldn't have to mess with the settings to play a game that is too dark.

Dan B

Screenwriter
IGN has their review of the Xbox port up tonight here. Here's a quote:
When I first saw The Two Towers on PS2, I was impressed and eager to see how much better it would look on Xbox. Unfortunately, something's been lost in the port, because the Xbox version is inferior to the sharp and stunning quality of what was found on PS2. In fact, the Xbox version, visually, is hardly the one that will rule them all. There's a ton of texture problems, poor contrast, and less detail than what's found on the PS2.
You are now free to start your "EA's lazy-assed Xbox ports" comments. ;)

Kami

Screenwriter
Lazy ass port or not, I'm having a blast with the game. I am in love with it :D

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Yeah i enjoy the game also. I love these hack and slash adventures

capt

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Romier - you've played both the Xbox and PS2 versions, correct? Would you agree with IGN's claim that the PS2's graphics are superior?

-Dave

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Would you agree with IGN's claim that the PS2's graphics are superior?
I agree with some points but not all. First of all on the subject of sharpness I do agree, the Xbox version is a bit more dull. I find it to be a trade off though. While the Xbox version loses some overall sharpness, I find the models and the enviroments to be more smooth with less ringing and noise than the PS2 version. Its more a matter of preference.

On the subject of detail loss, I see none of this. The Xbox is nearly identical to the PS2 version in this regard. I played up to Amon Hen on the Xbox version and Balins Tomb, Amon Hen, the opening level with Isildur, Weathertop all maintain a nice high level of detail like its PS2 cousin. Hilary complains about the face maps used in the review as well but honestly its the exact facial textures used in the PS2 version.

To be completely frank I prefer the GC version out of the three.(I finally played this version yesterday afternoon). Its the middle ground between the PS2 and the Xbox graphically (offering a good mix of sharpness and smoothness) and I'm finding the controls to be even more natural and intuitive than the Dual Shock 2. I will more than likely end up buying the GC version as the final version that stays in my collection.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. Thanks for the comparision. :) I opted for the Xbox version, as I'm a sucker for the prog scan and digital audio. I'm amazed that a game that looks this good is so consistent between all of the consoles. If a title is consistent between all consoles, it's usually consistently poor. ;)
-Dave

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Having an xbox is like having a car that can do 150MPH but most of the roads you can drive it on are designed for much slower cars (hello, PS2). So consumers end up saying 'why should I buy the Xbox car? The PS2 drives just as fast!'

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Definitely waiting until the price drops on this given the mixed reviews. I agree with the above statement re: a slider bar. Very cool feature for a game to have and as suggested I would imagine would be easily implemented.

JaremyP

Auditioning
I was initially super disappointed in the brightness of the game on the Xbox playing on our Sony 10HT projector. The video memory is properly calibrated as well with Video Essentials. Our end brightness setting for progressive scan sources was calibrated to 51. Around 35 for interlaced sources.

At this setting, level 2 of LotR:TT was virtually unplayable. In all actuality though, everyone here does have a brightness slider, it's just not on your Xbox. Just adjust the brightness on the display. We ramped the brightness up to 70. It made the whole game playable without even blooming or wrecking the visual quality of the image. Now I'm loving the game. Just need to take the extra couple seconds to adjust that slider before playing and to put it back after.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks