[XBOX] Turok

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith M., Oct 9, 2002.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Just started playing this one...

It brings back memories of the ol' N64. I really like this version. Some of the animations are amazingly graphic during a sniper kill. And the dinosaurs are awsome, I found myself entranced by the environment. Its funny to watch some of them knock trees over. And the monkeys are hilarious. Kinda like watching Walking w/ Dinosaurs.

Does anyone have any cheats or hints for the XBOX version?

2. JamesL

JamesL Agent

I was pleasantly surprised about this game as well. Here are some cheats for you:

Invincibility
    To turn on Invincibility, go to the Cheats menu at the title screen and enter the code "emerpus". Then turn on the Cheat at that menu to activate it.

Invisibility
    To turn on Invisibility, go to the Cheats menu at the title screen and enter the code "sllewgh". Then turn on the Cheat at that menu to activate it.

Unlimited Ammo
    To get unlimited ammo, go to the Cheats menu at the title screen and enter the code "madman". Then turn on the Cheat at that menu to activate it.

Unlock All Levels
    To unlock all levels, go to the Cheats menu at the title screen and enter the code "sellout". Then turn on the Cheat at that menu to activate it.

Unlock All Weapons
    To unlock all weapons, go to the Cheats menu at the title screen and enter the code "texas". Then turn on the Cheat at that menu to activate it.

Unlock Everything
    To unlock everything, go to the Cheats menu at the title screen and enter the code "FMNFB".

3. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Just wait until you have to go back and re-do 30 minutes worth of play because you get killed and there are no intermediate checkpoints.

I liked the game but kept getting so pissed off at having to do things over and over only to almost get to the end of the sublevel and have to re-do it again.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I rented this title. I was excited about some of the weapons described in the manual. But about the 3rd level you have to fly on the back of a giant bird and the gameplay & graphics dont match up.

It's like being pulled through a tunnel by a wire (you can only move up/dn/left/rt) and there are "invisible" walls that dont seem to line up with the graphics.

In a later section, you can fly in circles, but it's like there are invisible things you hit. Like trying to bank away from a wall you suddenly hit something, straighten out and crash/die. Very frustrating because of the poor game mechanics.

And once you get through this canyon, you are pulled along a waterfall where you have little/no control and seem to crash/die by hitting something you cannot see. This is where I stopped playing.

Perhaps if I went back and did the Invincibility cheat, I could get past this. But I was so frustrated by the horrible game-play that I decided to not bother.

But the on-foot play was great.

If I actually bought this, I'd be fireing off emails demanding a bug fix because of the flying level. It almost looks like the flying was shoved in at the last minute without testing.

Big disappointment. It's on my "avoid at all costs" list because of this.

5. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I actually liked the flying levels and passed them all already quite easily. Once you get the hang of the controls and the ability to bank left or right, its smooth sailing...

I personally didnt experience any of the symptoms you describe...

My only advice is be patient, dont try to rush...

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'd love to not rush and plan my moves, but the flying levels give you zero control over the speed. It's like being dragged along a wire. You just have to shift left/die, shift right/die, ... until you figure out where the "safe" zone it. It sure is not obvious from the graphics. I'd love to be able to loop up, fly away and take my time coming in for a dive-bomb run, but you hit that "glass ceiling".
    So you never started a flying run at the turrets next to the wall/gates, tried to bank and suddenly straightned out to crash into the side wall? Could I have gotten a buggy 1.0 release? (Or are my reflexes begining to go as well?[​IMG] )

7. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

I crashed into that wall on the right about a hundred times until I figured out that you do have to hit the bank button at the same time you are turning or you cannot make sharp turns. You definitely have to turn away well before the turrets as well. There are buttons to speed up/slow down as well. The levels are still pains in the ass but once I got the hang of the flying controls (after at least 6 or 7 hours of trying) It was much better.

As I said before, the game still sucks though and I gave up a couple of levels later when I kept getting killed repeatedly and just finally had enough of having to redo 30 minutes or more of actions that I could barely do right only to get killed about 10 times in a row.