What's new

Xbox takes 2nd place; Gamecube losing ground. (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I'm happy with Microsoft... so far they have done just about everything right. My ideal situation would be for Nintendo to team up with Microsoft and GIVE UP the Hardware business (after all, the only reason I have a GameCube is for NINTENDO games). I think alot has to do with Microsoft's GREAT online program and Nintendo's non-existant one.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
after all, the only reason I have a GameCube is for NINTENDO games
And for as long as you're willing to do that, Nintendo will make hardware. That's the "problem" - Nintendo make a killing out of the hardware + exclusive software, and they're loathe to give it up. Sega never quite got the hang of it ;)

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Give alot of credit to MS's marketing. The price drop earlier this year, followed by the one-two punch of the bundle (which included the smaller controller) and XBox Live created alot of publicity and momentum heading into the holiday season. And MS was able for the most part to come out with enough high quality games to counter the GC's great games. MS has cultivated an image for the XBox that is SEXIER than the image of the GC, which plays well for a mostly male audience.

Tino D'Voe

Agent
they were selling refurbished xboxes at future shop yesterday for $250 cdn. Not a bad deal if I think as long as you get the extended warranty. I'd hate to see gamecube go down though, it definately has some of the best games I've ever played on it.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Each system has it's audience....The more hardcore games come out for GC the more it will be sold. I picked up a gamecube because it's the best option for kids and if an adult wants to play with it, they would not be dissapointed at all....Like I've mentioned in the past, I think it's the best unit for the money....:emoji_thumbsup:

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
After reading through some of the articles again on this supposed "battle" for superiority as far as number of consoles are concerned. All I can say is "Who Cares?"

Honestly. Does it matter to any of us if Microsoft sells 1 or 2 million more Xboxes than Gamecubes?

Microsoft has to lose a great deal of money to get the sort of market penetration that they're working with here.

Nintendo on the other hand makes money on each console and GBA that they sell, but does it matter?

No, I honestly think that the gaming market is plenty big enough for 3 consoles and I'm glad that they're all available. I'm happy owning all three and could care less which one is #1, 2 or 3.

Glen

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
At this point, Nintendo and MS are really close, so I don't think any stands out as a definitive 2nd or 3rd. Sony is #1, that's understood. The GameBoy Advance has sold more than the X-Box and GameCube combined, that's understood. Much beyond that is kinda sketchy.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I think I will take numbers from the NPD group over Nintendo's. Something tells me there might be some "skewing" in that second article...

But whatever, it's not like either one has a prayer of gaining ground on big bad Sony. Yet.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I heard Megaton is going to be the annoucement that the next Duke Nukem game actually has a release date and it will be coming out on GCN exclusively. :D :D ;) ;)

Andre F

Screenwriter
No, I honestly think that the gaming market is plenty big enough for 3 consoles and I'm glad that they're all available. I'm happy owning all three and could care less which one is #1, 2 or 3.
Well put and I agree....it gets to be expensive though buying all three...

Jeffrey D Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Comparing the bundles and software rates are useless because MS forces consumers to buy the bundle where as the Mario one is an option. In the xbox bundle there are 2 games, which I'm sure is included in those software sales...

Also, NPD doesn't include sales from several large retailers, including Walmart, which typically moves a lot of Nintendo goods comparabley.

That all said, it wouldn't surprise me if MS moved out ahead in America. I easily see people choosing a system with 2 games over 1 where you get one. Personally I don't care to much, but I think it's important to take both of the spin stories with a grain a salt.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Well while saying "I don't care about the numbers, it's about the games" is true for most of us the numbers pretty much decide the lifespan of the system. If Gamecube was #1 there would be much more 3rd party support, and we would see things like a Logitech wheel or Steel Batallion type controller for more variety.

I also would like Nintendo to ditch the console making business but at the same time I get scurred thinking of the big giants MS and Sony going at it for the #1 spot. It's always nice to have an underdog who deals in games and only games making a console system that doesn't want it to be a DVD player/internet browser/mp3 jukebox/all-in-wonder-set-top-box-to-take-over-our-home-theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks