What's new

Xbox + Surround Sound System (1 Viewer)

Preston M

Auditioning
I was wondering if there was anyway to hook up my xbox to use through the surround sound system without having the xbox ran through a VCR (then having the tv to use the VCR input) and having the VCR input the audio to the surround sound system... My tv has 1 video in terminal and two audio terminals (red and white) but thats all...the video terminal in the back of the tv is being used by the surround sound system's dvd player. I was wondering if there was a way to do this.

- I had this really messed up but now it should make more sense hopefully, reread before posting -

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Umm..maybe I'm a little confused here, but let's see if I can help. I can't quite see what you're using for your surround decoding-have you got a receiver in there? To use surroud (Dolby Digital) you'll need a receiver with an optical input for the sound-then you just need an optical cable to run from the xbox to the receiver.

If you only have one digital input (which might be the case you're describing) and your dvd player is using it, it is possible to get a switch for digital audio-although a new receiver might be cheaper in the long run. The other option is to manually switch the cables.

If you're looking for just Pro Logic (which you'll plug in using the L/R RCA cables) then you're out of luck. As far as I know-DPL isn't actually supported on the Xbox. Your receiver could probably hack something together for it through a DSP, but it probably wouldn't sound all that great.

Hope that helps!

Preston M

Auditioning
maybe this will help. the surround sound system has a built in 5 disc dvd changer. re-read the problem again i had it screwed up.

webpages.charter.net/subspace/Setup.jpg

Preston M

Auditioning
Okay but I just want to be able to play Xbox with sound from the system with the setup in that picture I have. Is there any way to do that without a VCR?

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
How is the VCR connected to the TV? That's not shown in your diagram.

The only thing I could think of would be to get some kind of cheap video game switcher to use just for your video input on your TV. Run the cable from your surround system DVD out to one input on the switch, then the video out from your XBOX to another input and an output to the TV's composite input. Then you switch from one to the other.

Your audio just plugs into the Aux input of your surround system.

Preston M

Auditioning
Okay basically I'm asking for an alternate way of doing the stuff in this picture WITHOUT a VCR: webpages.charter.net/subspace/OldSetup.jpg

millercv

Second Unit
ok here is what I would do -

You will need to buy a video switcher since it looks like your receiver doesn't switch video and your TV only has one input.

DVD - audio is built in - Video out to switcher port 1
VCR - audio out to VCR audio in - Video out to switcher port 2
Xbox - audio out to Aux audio in - Video out to switcher port 3

Then have the Video out from the switcher go to the TV.

Then to use it you will have to select audio from the receiver and video from the switcher. For example when you want to play a Game select Aux on the receiver and hit video 3.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks