Xbox scratching discs...Disc Doctor not much help..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derrik Draven, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Dec 7, 1998
    I remember reading those reports that a small amount of Xbox's were scratching discs in Japan.
    I think I own one of the American disc scratchers.
    Halo has slowly become harder to play since it gets alot of read errors and, there is a ring of small scratches on the outer rim of the disc.
    Enter Disc Doctor. Any of you guys ever use it? If so, I have a question;
    How the hell long do you have to keep using the little patch of felt to buff out the disc after you've finished resurfacting it?!!?
    Disc Doctor made mine worse. I used plenty of fluid, ran it one full rotation one way then the other. Buffed 'till the disc looked somewhat shiny but, it's no better than before and, in some ways worse. [​IMG]
    I was going to redo Morrowind since it has one tiny little scratch on it and, it's enough to make it a bitch for the Xbox to read, but I fear it's just going to get worse than it is if I use the Doctor.
    ...I wonder if my Box is just too damn sensitive???
    Anyone else have any experience with either the Disc Doctor or a touchy Xbox?
  2. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Jun 7, 1999
    As my post in Software mentions, I've got a scratched up copy of Z.O.E. that needs repair as well, so if anyone has any experience with Disc Doctor I'd love to know.
  3. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

Aug 25, 2001
    Your problem might not be the discs. It might be -- ACK! --the disk drive.

Based on decidedly unscientific Internet reports, a significant number of Xboxes -- including mine -- have experienced DVD-ROM failure. In many cases, it occurs gradually and after a few months of play.

It often starts with one game -- and "Halo" is a serial culprit -- but it quickly spreads to other titles, to the point where the drive can read nothing. You get an error message to the effect of "Xbox cannot read this disk."

In my case, I tried disk cleaners, DVD drive cleaning kits, other copies of the game, everything, and eventually nothing worked. I ended up sending my Xbox in for repairs. It took less than a week, and since I purchased an extended warranty from Microsoft, it cost me nothing. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck. . .
  4. Josey M

Josey M Agent

Jun 12, 2002
    You play for awhile and your disc or X-box locks up?
    Then you have to start playing level all over again.
    This has done it in Halo and Hunter the Reckoning to me.