What's new

Xbox RPGs? (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Andrew,
There are a few RPG's coming out for the X-box. Some as noted below veer more towards the action RPG realm than pure Roleplaying:
Shenmue 2
Project Ego
Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind
Blood Omen 2 (more of an action RPG if anything though)
Nightcaster (again more action oriented)
Ultimate Blade of Darkness (Action RPG)
Project Ego, Shenmue 2, and Elder Scrolls are the cream of the crop if you want a true RPG. Morrowind is a very PC-centric roleplaying game (dont know if you have a PC or not but it is also being released in that platform) so if you have been bred on Final Fantasy or the like this game may be a whole new ball of wax for you.
Project Ego is what I'm a very much waiting for and I am hoping it delivers on what looks like some truly revolutionary Ideas.
I just ordered Shenmue 2 for my DC as I am a big fan of the original. If the X-box version offers some good improvements I'll happily rebuy it.
There are also various online RPG's coming out for the X-box. If that is your kind of game you may want to look out for them (Fate and Dominion are two that come to mind).
Not too bad of a line-up but I'm hoping it fills out more with good CRPG's in the future. I'm all for a good action RPG (Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance comes to mind:D) but pure role-playing games like Morrowind and the like is where my heart truly lies.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Please explain to me how Shenmue is considered an RPG?? It is not in any way like a Console, PC, or MMORPG.

Shenmue is adventure, and I'm not sure how it could be classified as anything else.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Graeme,
If you scroll towards the bottom of the thread I have placed below you will see my comments on why I (let me reiterate, this is my opinion only) consider Shenmue to veer more towards an RPG. I'll also quote myself at the bottom.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...0&pagenumber=2
I do agree you can also classify it as an adventure but I think Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, Pikmin so forth so on are games that are very unique and I feel are a little difficult to stick in one genre. It could really go either way.
Lets really look at the words Role-Playing game? Theoretically any game that you play a character in is considered role-playing because well your playing someone else.
When you look at it closely though it would seem that Shenmue is the closest to the real meaning of RPG. You are actually living someone elses life through a video game. Shenmue had its issue but no one can deny how immersive this game was. The next game that I think will take console RPG's to the next level is Project Ego. If Peter Molyneux and the guys at Blue Box come through this game will be absolutely revolutionary.
My comments above:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks