XBox Reliability - any known issues

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McElfresh, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I took the plunge and bought an XBox. Since Best Buy had the DVD controller for $10 off, I went there.
    I got the usual "Would you like to buy a Service Plan" speach. But what stuck was both the salesperson and cashier said "We've seen a lot of XBox's come back."
    I suspect this was just BS to pressure me to buy the PSP. (I did have the fantasy of sounding suprised, asking for the manager and loudly/enthusiastically thanking them for talking me out of buying a shoddy product [​IMG] )
    When I got home I saw the $49 Microsoft Extended Warrenty. So now I am having second thoughts.
    Are there any known reliability issues with a non-abused XBox?
    Anyone actually get the Microsoft warrenty & use it?
    How does one go about getting updates to the bios/rom inside the box? Should I consider the warrenty just for this?

2. DonWinzen

DonWinzen Stunt Coordinator

I have not had any problems with the XBOX and have known of no one with this problem. You may have encountered a "fanboy" who hates MS very much. I have not sent in for the warranty but probably will just for the peace of mind (its for 2 years). I haven't heard of anything yet that has been released for any updates but if there will be it will be a simple process to get the updates included on a game in the future.

Enjoy the XBOX.

3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I would definitely purchase the extended warranty; the fact that it has a hard drive in there is a little scary. Not as worried about the optics, CPU, or GPU.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

People say the PS2 has problems, but I don't personally know anybody who has had problems, and most people who I have heard complain of problems did something wrong. Same goes for the X-Box.

Take care of it and it should be fine.

5. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

6. Masood Ali

7. MikeAlletto

8. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Except that you only have a limited amount of time to do so through Microsoft. I believe it was 10 days after purchase, wasn't it? I got my XBox from Best Buy, and they gave me the extended warranty pitch. I didn't go for it. Good idea? Only time will tell. But it came down to buying the extended warranty or getting Halo. I went with Halo. If my `Box craps out, I'll either find out how to get it fixed or buy a new one. I'm not really worried about it, though. I have faith in Microsoft that they installed components that will last the expected life of the systems. With new systems coming out every 3-4 yrs, I'm expecting it to last at least that long ...

Freddy C.

9. Masood Ali

10. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Extended warranties ARE a sham. They are a scam, and anyone that defends them is defending their POOR POOR DECISION. Did you pay for rust proofing of your car too? My X-Box had a problem FIVE months after I purchased it. When I sent it out for service they didn't even ask me WHEN I had bought it. Read my story on sending my X-Box out for service. It was a PLEASANT experience, one in which my purchase date was never questioned. They are a GOOD company that wants their product to succeed, and they are OBVIOUSLY commited to customer service. On paper it might say 90 days, but that wasn't the case for me. There is no way they can verify WHEN you bought your X-Box.

11. Masood Ali

Larry, I guess my argument doesn't hold when a company doesn't follow its own rules [​IMG]

12. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I wouldn't worry about the harddrive, by the time you might have a problem with it, people will probably have some sort of harddrive replace method that will let you pop a new one in there.

13. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

14. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I did not want to start a "Extended Warranties" discussion. Just accept that I refused the Best Buy version.

My concerns is that this is the first PC product from Microsoft. And while PC's are fairly mature, they have the advantage of downloadable drivers/bios to fix problems that cropped up down the road.

Does anyone who has studied the literature/promises know if the warranty is going to provide me with firmware/software updates?

15. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

The XBox isn't a PC product. It's a PC the same way any videogame console is. Microsoft makes excellent hardware, and from my few weeks with the XBox it seems no exception.

That said, if there are ever any firmware updates it will be done silently, and transparently when you load up a new game or when you log-on.

Microsoft wants the XBox to be known as a game machine first, then they will slowly move it into the media distribution area if they can. Remember, the videogaming industry brought in more money than Hollywood last year. That's where the money is.

16. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Eric F is right, the Xbox is NOT a PC. Sure, it uses some PC components, but you don't encounter problems you find on a PC. Companies have BIOS/Driver updates because there are some many different manufactors and different hardware configurations, that nobody ever knows for sure how compatible the hardware is. When they discover a incompatiblity, they will relaease a new driver so it works right (not always the case though).

This is not an issue on the Xbox because, unlike PC's, every single Xbox is the same.

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

18. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Okay, you got me on that one.... but, the drives are formatted to the same size, so it's not an issue. And speaking of hard drives, in the PC world, they are not kown as being incompatible like other components, unless you try to put a large capicity drive in an old PC who's BIOS doesn't see the size... I could go on, but it's kinda boring :)

19. DonWinzen

DonWinzen Stunt Coordinator

The fact is $49 (extended warranty) for a $300 piece of equipment is a low price to pay for piece of mind. Yes, MS will probably ignore their own 90 day return/repair policy while the XBOX is new but I wouldn't count on it for the long term.

Also, I asked MS if I could still purchase the warranty (as of a month ago) even though I purchased the XBOX last November and they said no problem.

In many cases, extended warranties are a waste but you cannot apply that logic to everything. Some warranties are good deals while others (read Best Buy) is a waste.

Also, the Best Buy offer of a warranty on the XBOX is not the same extended warranty offered by MS; I wouldn't purchase the Best Buy warranty.

20. MikeAlletto

To me $49 for an already overpriced piece of hardware is too much. Maybe if they ever drop the price to $200 or $150 sure. But I sure am not gonna even think about spending $349+tax on a game system. But thats just me...