Xbox referecne level: Is there one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ernest R, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Ernest R

Ernest R Agent

Do DVD games (xbox or other) have a set referece sound level like the movie DVDs?

2. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

what do you mean

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

You control whatever "reference level" you want. Whether you use the THX level or set your own. There is no such level set on any source material (including DVDs).

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Like the best of the best of the best...
    For DVD, this is something with the best sound, the best video, pefect for showing your system off...
    I guess he wants the best level, best action, best sound, best video for Xbox to show it off... My guess would be something Halo, or RalliSport challenge... Awesome graphics, great 5.1 audio [​IMG]

5. Ernest R

Ernest R Agent

On DVD movies my Denon 3802 receiver is set to "00" when playing movies. If I understand correctly this is the preferred listening level (reference level) the director of the movie intended during movie playback in the theaters or home.

Do console games have a standard listen level preferred by the game designer in order to get the full effect of the sounds.

Movie Example:

In some scenes where one is whispering under there breath one cannot hear what was said unless the sound is set to "00" on the receiver.

Castaway - Plain crash chapter: While Hanks is in the bathroom you can here the bandage being removed (30 decibel)at reference level and not much lower than that. Then BAMM all heck breaks loose (110 decibel). ( I just guest a the sound level)

Have games moved to this level of sound detail and level adjustments during game play and if so there must be a sound level the game designers prefer.

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

7. Ernest R

Ernest R Agent

The system has been calibrated and yes 00 is sometimes to loud but I do here soft sounds at this level that are not be clearly identified at -10.

But the question still stands unanswered. Do DVD games follow a standard reference level? Can I ,theoretically, go to a game designer and ask for the preferred decibel level of a certain sound in a game and then go home and meter that sound? And if I could, would this decibel level for this sound be the preferred loudness across all DVD games?

It sound like NO so far from all the post.