Xbox recall? Confirm?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott FP, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Scott FP

Scott FP Agent

Have a nephew that works for Best Buy. Said he had a meeting this morning regarding a total Xbox recall due to overheating problems. Didn't have much more information then that. Said he would know more in the upcoming days.

Now I'm the last guy to spread rumors. Matter of fact I must have asked him three times if he was "busting my balls" and he said he was being truthful. I then turned to his father to make sure and he said that his kid wouldn't do this to me unless he heard "something".

I'm a Xbox owner so I really don't want this to be true. The few problems I've had seem like typical Windows problems where you reboot to solve the problem, things like no sound or controller 2 being the default controller etc...

Other then that I'm very happy with the product. I feel guilty for even posting this due to lack of more evidence but I'm trying to confirm if anyone else has heard about this?

Last check of all major Xbox sites reveal nothing as of 1/6/02. So right now I look like a total loon even saying this without some backup. I'm only posting this here because this is the most mature, well informed forum that I've ever participated in. Having said that I realize the risk I'm taking by throwing this out there. Just thought it was important that all Xbox owners know that something seems to be up.

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

First I've heard of it. Haven't seen any widespread complaints about XBox overheating. Any minor issues tend to get blown up at launch (as with the PS2 & DC launchs) but I really haven't seen many complaints at all about overheating of the actual machines.

3. Scott FP

Scott FP Agent

I was about to delete this thread then I saw the reply. Like I said, I feel guilty about posting this but the news of that Best Buy meeting this morning got me spooked.
    My nephew claims that Best Buy pulled Xbox off the shelf today. Now the kid isn't stupid but he is 18 and sometimes he lets rumors get in the way of the facts. I guess the tell tale sign would be to see if anyone notices Xbox's vanishing off the shelves the next few days.
    I swear if he is pulling my leg I will give him a severe beating [​IMG]

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I saw a few on the shelves at Best Buy today. FWIW, I've heard of other problems, but I've never heard of a single problem with overheating.

-Dave

5. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

The overheating issue got blown way out of proportion. Howard Stern even had a guy on his show last month that claimed all xbox'es run really hot. Well, my xbox runs cool to the touch after many hours of play, and so does everyone else's that I know.

Jeff Peake

6. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Absolutely false. My X-Box runs cool as ice. Your nephew is pulling the wool over your eyes. [​IMG]

7. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Yeah, my Xbox runs very cool... even after several hours of play. In fact, it runs MUCH cooler than my PS2. Fan and drive noise, now that's another story! [​IMG]
    Gary

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I think this story may be tied into the weekend Associated Press story of 'widespread XBox problems'...

9. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

My Xbox is cool to the touch, but the air being blown out of it is warm air. Not hot, just warm...same temp. of air that comes out of a PC.

So, nothing wrong here.

10. Michael Hudson

Michael Hudson Stunt Coordinator

I think this is just a story. I have not had any problems with my unit since I got it the first day. I have spent many an hours on Halo and May Payne with no problems. [​IMG]

11. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

No problems with my X-Box.

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I've read rumors of overheating, but until I see statistics by a legitimate firm or see it happen, I'm trusting nobody.

13. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

Best Buy would be the LAST people to know about a recall, if this was legit, it would have been rumored WAY before it was to take effect.

14. DonWinzen

DonWinzen Stunt Coordinator

I overheard that the XBOX was being used to determine the origin of the aliens at Roswell. [​IMG]

15. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I heard Osama bin Laden took over the X-Box factory in Eastern Europe, and is now using those X-Boxes as super computers!

16. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

I heard that Microsoft stole the idea of the X-Box from Apple,

17. David__Anthony

David__Anthony Auditioning

Ok this is what i have been told...if your xbox was made in the month of nov 2001[u can check on the bottom of the xbox] it might have problems.Again this is what i read,so i dont know this to be a fact.

18. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

20. BrianB

BrianB Producer