XBox/PS2 and beyond HD gaming experiences?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Doug R, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

I'm looking to get a HDTV for console gaming only. Looking around a 42" DLP/LCD rear projection.. anyone HD game on these and have some experiences they can share? I know 480p games don't look super great but obviously I'd prefer them to be decent and I suspect 720p+ games should look good on any.

Anyhow, probably the wrong forum for this but this gets the most video game talk so I wanted to get the most responses.

thanks!

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Not sure where this opinion stems from but 480p off an Xbox into an HDTV looks superb. Check out Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Doom 3, and Chronicles of Riddick to name just a few. I believe there are a couple 720p games out there - sports titles including basketball and football if I recall. Very few to choose from as monitors that actually can display 720p are still in the minority.

3. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Probably because of the lack of texture memory in the PS2. The XBOX versions on digital displays blow away their PS2 counterparts. The PS2 does have a larger selection of games, but XBOX is no slouch. 480p looks incredible on many many XBOX games.

4. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Oh man, I get my HDTV later this week...you guys are killing me! [​IMG]

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

David, you're in for a treat! I continue to be blown away at how good Splinter Cell: CT looks. It's insane.

6. David Galindo

SC:CT is only $30 at Hastings...hmmm...Ill definitely have to pick it up! Thanks!

7. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

You guys should check out X-Men Legends for the Xbox. It is in 720p and looks amazing on an HDTV. It is also fun to play and you can get it new for $19.99!

Brion

8. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Ok back to my question.. what HDTV are you guys playing on? Hehe.. I'm looking for suggestions on a good one and your experiences will help [​IMG]

9. David Galindo

While I cant say for sure until next week, I hear that LCD works better than DLP for gaming. Can anyone confirm this?

10. Steve Blair

Steve Blair Second Unit

Playing on a Panasonic th50phd7uy plasma here and 480p xbox games look awesome. I've tried a few 720p games like Freedom Fighters and they really have me salivating for the xbox360. 11/4/05 can't come soon enough [​IMG]

11. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I didn't realize that.

Re: LCD vs. plasma for video games I suspect one advantage LCD would have is not being subject to burn in. Plasma is, however, sensitive to this so you would need to insure proper setup with contrast not too high. If one or the other is faster in its pixel response that would likely be preferable for video game motion. Plasma screens deliver better blacks levels as far as I know, which will improve all video images.