1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox ProLogic Output Only?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bing Fung, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Bing Fung

Bing Fung Agent

Hey all,

I have my Xbox connected to my Denon 3300 AVR with the optical Toslink.

I have enabled the dolbu digital function in the Control menu.

Why is it that my Denon only sets up a Dolby Prologic signal and not DD5.1?

Thanks,

2. Butch Smith

Butch Smith Stunt Coordinator

Well, it could be a few things:

Do you have the optical input activated and assigned to a button on your receiver?

Read the manual of your amp and make sure you're doing all you need to on that end...

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Bing, you'll only see Dolby Pro Logic until you put in a game that supports DD5.1.

In other words, if you play a CD, it will only be 2 channel (prologic) stereo digital output.

4. Bing Fung

Bing Fung Agent

Thanks Guys!

Max, Currently I have:

Halo

Project Gotham Racing

Munch's

DoA3

NHL 2002

So based on what your saying, none of them are known as Dolby Digital?

The Dolby Digital Light is not illuminated, however, "Lock" and "Auto" is on my receiver. I have enabled it on my receiver for if I disconnect the analog cords, I still do get sound with the optical connected.

Dolby Surround has been enabled on the Xbox as well.

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Don't know about NHL, but the rest are definitely Dolby Digital. Doesn't help much, but at least you can eliminate that from your equation...

6. Bing Fung

Bing Fung Agent

Dave, if what your saying is true, then there has got to be something wrong with my set-up, as none of the titles I own will invoke the Dolby Digital setting on my Denon.

I have tried to manually set it as well as automatically, to no avail.

7. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I'm sorry, Bing, I wish I could help. I don't know the Denon receiver at all, unfortunately. On my Yamaha, after I enabled Dolby Digital in the control menu (which you said you did already), all of the titles you mentioned with the exception of NHL did show up as Dolby Digital. I haven't had the chance to play NHL yet, so I can't speak for that.
    All I did was plug in the A/V pack, enable DD, hook the optical cable up to an optical input on my receiver, and switch my receiver to that input, and I got the digital signal. It sounds as if you did all of that and it still isn't working, so I don't know what to advise next...
    Sorry, man, I wish I could offer more. [​IMG]

8. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

One last thing.... did you activate 5.1 in the Xbox Menu system? Make sure that it is set to 5.1 and not Stereo...

EDIT: I just saw that you mentioned you checked the Xbox menu... I'm out of ideas?

9. Scott FP

Scott FP Agent

The only other thing you can try is to hook up another xbox to your receiver and compare.

I know finding another friend with a Xbox is far fetched right now but it is the only way you can really see what is going on. Obviously if Xbox #2 produces 5.1 with the same settings then you know something is wrong with yours. If both produce the same results then it narrows it down to your receiver and/or the settings you are using in the Xbox.

Good luck.

10. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

Just out of curiousity, if you play a DVD via the XBox do you get DD-5.1?

11. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

Bing, I went through two X-Box consoles over a single weekend and both had the same problem. I returned the second for a full refund and decided to wash my hands to the whole situation.

12. John B.

John B. Stunt Coordinator

I really hope someone here can help. I just bought the xbox, and the advanced av pack. I have a dolby digital receiver (sony da333es) and xbr tv that i'm using along w/ the xbox.

The advanced av pack got me the svideo cable which I was able to route thru the receiver's video 2 in. I'm also connecting the std rca plug left/right audio's in there on the receiver's video 2 in -- the other end going into the advanced av pack audio l/r out.

The problem I have is I can't figure out how to get the dolby digital audio working w/ the xbox. I went out and bought a tos link digital audio cable (which I would have thought would have been supplied w/ the advanced av pack if you can't play a dolby digital game w/out it...).

My receiver has 5 digital audio slots (md/dat in, md/dat out, cd in, tv/sat in, dvd/ld in). I currently use the dvd/ld in to connect to my dvd player. And the only place I can see to plug the xbox's digital audio out from the advanced av pack, is into the tv/sat in toslink connection.

Doing that I can't seem to get my dolby digital indicators to light up. I'm using halo which the box says is dolby digital. Please help -- I MUST get the little blue light on!!!!

13. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    I will pass along the info I learned over the last few days trying to troubleshoot my Xbox's DD5.1 problem. In my case, it turned out to be operator error, your mileage may vary. (FWIW...I bumped the A/B speaker switch on my receiver while installing the Xbox which cut off my left/right mains....Doh!)

First, some Xboxs do have a audio defect which prevents DD5.1 from working correctly. You can call the Xbox 800 number and talk to them about this. MS will send you boxes so you can overnight your Xbox to them for repair, or you can return it to the store and take your chances on another unit. All shipping on MS's dime of course.

Second, apparently the Monster Cable setup has some compatibility problems with certain receivers and DD5.1 will not work. Only solution for this that I know of is to use one of MS's connection packs.

Some folks over at Xbox.com have reported success by simply buying another Hi Def/AV Pack so maybe there are some quality control issues with these as well.

You have to enable DD5.1 support from the audio settings menus which can be accessed by turning your Xbox on and NOT having a game disc in the drive. A toslink cable is required for DD5.1. I wouldn't attach both the RCA and toslink audio cables at the same time. If you do, check to see of your receiver has a setting forcing it to use the optical input.

I understand some of this will be old news but just wanted to pass along the info.

-Keith

14. Bing Fung

Bing Fung Agent

Scott FP: If I can't solve this I may have to...
    Steve: I don't own the DVD pac, so I don't know.
    Arthur: I don't think thats an option as I want to keep the box [​IMG]
    This looks to be the same situation that I see on some DVD's from time to time. Even though it states it 5.1 on the cover, My Denon indicates it's only decoding in Prologic mode... I may have to look into why the Denon sees it as such. It does have a indicator that is illuminated saying it's Digital, only it's Digital Prologic (make any sense?)
    It is passing audio through the Optical cord so it has to be a digital signal, is there some remote chance the Denon is confused? Man I wish the Xbox had a test tone generator [​IMG]

15. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Try this:

Verify that your DVD 5.1 input is working with your DVD player using the toslink connection. Then take the toslink cable out of your DVD player and plug it in to the advanced pack of your Xbox. Before starting up a game turn on the Xbox and verify that the audio is set to DD 5.1 or DTS in the setup menu, then pop in your Halo disc. This should be all you have to do to get the game to play in DD 5.1. If your still having a problem after this I would try replacing the A/V pack first. Hope that helps.

Dean

16. Bing Fung

Bing Fung Agent

Hey everyone, thanks for your suggestions and ideas!!

It turns out the problem was the AV pack.

I was using a Madcatz Ultra AV pack for S-Video and that was the problem, it was not passing a true 5.1 even though it states it is a 5.1 dolby digital pack.

I had an unopened Microsoft HD pack that I plugged in and it gave me all options of Dolby Prologic/Dolby Digital/DTS in the xbox's setup menu, which the Madcatz did not.

It is now passing full 5.1 Yehaw!

17. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Thats great, now you can enjoy gaming like it was meant to be! [​IMG]
    Dean

18. Scott FP

Scott FP Agent

John B.,

I have not used my Xbox yet with full surround sound. It is a Xmas present and I can't seem to find a time to set the whole thing up without kids around!

Anyway, I was reading a manual for my receiver and I will have to use my satellite setting also for my xbox. However my manual specifially states that I have to assign the satellite setting to the digital input.

I have only one digital input on my receiver and it can be used for any device as long as I tell my receiver which device gets to use the digital input. Could this be your problem?

19. Bing Fung

Bing Fung Agent

John B, does your Xbox's control panel for Audio have all the settings available?
    Example: Here is a picture of my now fixed set-up screen.
    [​IMG]
    My problem was with a faulty 5.1 AV pack, I didnot know I was suppose to have all these options. With the faulty AV pack the only options were Stereo or Dolby Surround.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the faulty Item, which I will be returning. Or I may keep for the just the optical cord, Svideo cord and Analog composite/Left/Right cords. Alone those are worth the 29 bucks for this unit (I think?).

20. John B.

John B. Stunt Coordinator

thanks scott fp and others for responding. i think you may be close. i have some ideas as to what to try next. i do have a coax digital in, as well on my da333es receiver and it's not being used now. so i'm going to try to use it for the dvd player (instead of the dvd digital audio in jack ----- so i can free that one up for the xbox....i'll report back if it works).[​IMG]