Xbox problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew P, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

I just hooked up Live and ive been playing for 5 days and last night my Xbox would not recognize any of my games? Does anyone know what may be causing this problem?

If not, im off to Circuit City to buy a new Xbox since mine is a over a year old and I do not have an extended warranty.

Andy

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

If you exchange it, make sure you copy your saved games and LIVE data to a memory card...

3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Make sure it wasn't just a momentary problem. If you turn it off for about 10 minutes and it works fine afterwards, then your issue isn't too threatening. If it still continues to have disc read errors, and it occurs on more than one disc, then you should return it...but not before you at least try to sweet talk MS Customer Service into a deal for fixing your Xbox.

I've heard limited cases of people getting free repairs out of the warranty period, depending on the CSR they talk to.

4. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Even out of the warranty period it will only cost $100 to get it fixed. That's still a lot cheaper than buying a new one. I would try cleaning it real good first, including running a lens cleaner through it.

5. JustinT

JustinT Stunt Coordinator

Same thing happened to me. I couldn't get my xbox to read any games for about 3 days.

I just left my xbox off for a few days, and then it started working again. Haven't had a problem since!

6. Scott Varney

Scott Varney Agent

I was having the same problem... getting a lot of disc read errors. Based on somethign I read on the 'net, I erased the game files for those games I know longer own/play. And guess what... it worked. Not one disc read error since.
    Now, what old game files have to do with reading the disc is beyond me, but it saved me at least $100.
    One the other hand, the new bundle with Sega GT and JSR is a great deal. If I hadn't been able to fix the XBox myself, I would've just gotten that bundle. Not too much more expensive than the $100 the Microsoft is charging for repairs since I don't have either game.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer